hi there, Chris here

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » hi there, Chris here

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 02:16 am
hi people, I'm new here and I'd just like to say hello / introduce myself and say that I'm glad to be aboard. I'm a youngin I guess, 18 this coming march, and I'm exited for college. I've been reading philosophy seriously for about a year and a half now, starting with Plato and moving on from there. By now I've exposed myself to a decent array of most of the major philosophers and have tried to familiarize myself with the gist of their most major concepts; I also have a taste for eastern philosophy (mainly buddhism.) I love philosophy as my passion and came here to learn more and also to see some applied philosophy in action, or at least the thinking / sharing ideas part lol.

I often feel pretty misunderstood and that life is kind of, "full of sound and fury, indicating nothing," so I was also hoping that here would be a nice place to get some guidence and advice from people who've been coping with their reflective nature for a while.

I hope I don't come across as full of myself or something, I'm sorry if I do / will in the future, and I'll try to keep my naivity / immaturity to a minimum.

Anyway, cheers!

Deckard

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 03:39 am
@stripedsweaters,
stripedsweaters;126043 wrote:

I often feel pretty misunderstood and that life is kind of, "full of sound and fury, indicating nothing," so I was also hoping that here would be a nice place to get some guidence and advice from people who've been coping with their reflective nature for a while.

Welcome to the forum. The reflective nature can be burden; it is also a blessing.

I think it's significant that Macbeth utters those words of despair immediately after hearing that his wife the queen is dead. True they can be taken out of that context and made into a sort of existentialist quip; something Camus probably quoted somewhere in this fashion. I have quoted it myself in this fashion but the original context is that they are the words of a King who has just lost his Queen. I'm not intending to correct you or say that you used it wrongly or anything like that. This is just something that came to mind when I read it in your introduction so forgive me for going on like this. Shakespeare was one of the great philosophers and I by no means want to discourage the quoting him whether it be in or out of context. By the way, it's "sound and fury, signifying nothing." Welcome to the forum!

William

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 05:47 am
@stripedsweaters,
Seventeen, huh? I was there once, ha! It seems like yesterday. Don't get to philosophically bogged down if you can help it. As it relates to life, observe more and be silent when in the presence of "I" people and then you will observe what "not" to do. This preserves the innate you. If you do this then when you do offer, it will be from you; a unique, ongoing soul of the universe and others will hear. Welcome Chris,

William here.

jgweed

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 07:04 am
@stripedsweaters,
That you have read some of the important philosophers, and that you wish to improve both your philosophical knowledge as well as attempt to "do" philosophy by participating in the discussions here seems to belie your "immaturity" or "naivity" at least compared to the normal youth of your age.
I hope you will want to contribute to the discussions, even it is only to ask a question or for clarification of someone's position. The more you attempt to articulate your thinking in a lucid manner, the better you will be able to think, and thinking in this modern age is as important as it is rare.
Welcome to Philforum!
Regards,
John

Leonard

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 04:47 pm
@stripedsweaters,
Hello, welcome to the forum. There are plenty of other young folks and college students around here. Do you know what you are going to major in yet?

stripedsweaters

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 09:19 pm
@Leonard,
Thank you guys for the greetings; I'm sorry about the Shakespeare misquote, I intended it existenitally but I guess it's orginal context holds true as well, without a woman (though thankfully never murdered), I start to fall into even more of an existential vaccuum. Each time one slips away I dig myself deeper into philosophy, so to speak, and further see the romantic use of women as nill until I find the right one, which is pretty depressing in itself because with the thought of 'true' love being so scarce, the idea of nihilism really seems to seep in (though I try to battle valiantly against purposelessness, which basically I have God and love in general to thank.) So, for the most part, I basically try to stay quiet and observe, occasionally having a few lines of banter with some friends (who are generally good company, but I still sometimes can't help feeling misunderstood [again, I have been getting by suspecting that it's just a regular part of adolescense.]) I'd also like to mention that sometimes I feel as if most things other than philosophy are pretty pointless, which is foolish, but it is also a pretty big existenial problem I deal with every so often. I plan on majoring in philosophy in college without a doubt, it's my only real passion aside from writing.

---------- Post added 02-08-2010 at 10:21 PM ----------

Also, thank you guys for the advice!

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » hi there, Chris here
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 07:24:31