Confused old git joins the group :-)

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Confused old git joins the group :-)

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Twirlip

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 09:02 pm
Here is what (with much trepidation!) I have just posted in my Profile:

I was for all practical purposes an atheist between the ages of about 8 and 54, and am only gradually changing my views.

I suppose I'm now a mystic: a budding one, an extremely undeveloped and confused one, lost in a world that seems dark, strange, and threatening.

In spite of this darkness (self-loathing, despair, suicidal thoughts, etc.), I believe in a God who is immanent in each of us, universally loving, and (unlike any human being or social institution) an absolute moral authority.

For what it's worth, I'm inclined to think that God, although deserving worship (that is the reason I feel I must use that embarrassing and troublesome name, 'God'!) is /not/ omnipotent, and He (or She, or It!), just like any of us, is constantly engaged in a struggle with Its own deluded dark side.

I think God's 'dark side' is a real power in the world for evil, and is worshipped by many people (religious and secular) /as if/ it were an omnipotent creator god (even if not by name).

Since ceasing to believe in Santa Claus, I think I have always believed that no 'supernatural' events ever occur, or ever have occurred.

(As with God's supposed attributes, I don't claim any certainty about such matters, except for the non-existence of Santa.)

I do, however, believe in the existence of paranormal phenomena. I think that Jung's concept of synchronicity provides ample room for such phenomena to occur, within what is called coincidence.

I believe that human beings are minds, not bodies; and that it is a philosophical error, and it fatally damages confidence in human judgement, to imagine that knowledge about human bodies could give a human mind enough knowledge of other human minds, or its own self.

I am a political liberal, and a moral realist. (That seems to be an odd combination!)

I think animals have rights. However, I eat meat. Contradiction?

My beliefs about psychology and morality are independent of my beliefs in God and paranormal phenomena. Although the latter beliefs cause me intellectual embarrassment, they don't seem irrational.

What little education I have is in pure mathematics, although even that is incomplete (in a more damning sense than that in which everyone's education is always incomplete). I have also done a fair amount of unsystematic and sporadic reading, over the years, on the subject of mental illness (so called) and psychotherapy.

I haven't studied philosophy formally. I'm pretty much open to suggestions of what to read, although it is quite a struggle for me to get through any books at all these days.

I would like to learn something about Plato, Meister Eckhart, Locke, Kant, Schopenhauer, Kierkegaard, Emerson, Bergson, William James, Mill, Freud, Jung, Merleau-Ponty, Gabriel Marcel, Heidegger, Sartre, Popper, Feyerabend, and Chomsky.

As that last name suggests, I probably need to inform myself about anarchism, as a possible development of my liberalism. How well might it sit with my moral realism?

Leonard

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 09:33 pm
@Twirlip,
Hello, welcome to the forum. If you enjoy Plato's philosophy, it's a good place to begin reading. Ion and Symposium in particular are two valuable morsels of philosophical knowledge.

jgweed

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 09:51 am
@Twirlip,
I think you will find here in the forums, many threads discussing most of the philosophers that interest you, and probably other philosophers that are not well-known to you. Moreover, there are many threads discussing in a very general manner, the major topics of living from all sorts of perspectives.
Please join in the discussions, contribute your thoughts or simply ask questions.
Welcome to Philforum!
Regards,
John

kennethamy

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 01:53 pm
@Twirlip,
Twirlip;125587 wrote:
Here is what (with much trepidation!) I have just posted in my Profile:

I was for all practical purposes an atheist between the ages of about 8 and 54, and am only gradually changing my views.

I suppose I'm now a mystic: a budding one, an extremely undeveloped and confused one, lost in a world that seems dark, strange, and threatening.

In spite of this darkness (self-loathing, despair, suicidal thoughts, etc.), I believe in a God who is immanent in each of us, universally loving, and (unlike any human being or social institution) an absolute moral authority.

For what it's worth, I'm inclined to think that God, although deserving worship (that is the reason I feel I must use that embarrassing and troublesome name, 'God'!) is /not/ omnipotent, and He (or She, or It!), just like any of us, is constantly engaged in a struggle with Its own deluded dark side.

I think God's 'dark side' is a real power in the world for evil, and is worshipped by many people (religious and secular) /as if/ it were an omnipotent creator god (even if not by name).

Since ceasing to believe in Santa Claus, I think I have always believed that no 'supernatural' events ever occur, or ever have occurred.

(As with God's supposed attributes, I don't claim any certainty about such matters, except for the non-existence of Santa.)

I do, however, believe in the existence of paranormal phenomena. I think that Jung's concept of synchronicity provides ample room for such phenomena to occur, within what is called coincidence.

I believe that human beings are minds, not bodies; and that it is a philosophical error, and it fatally damages confidence in human judgement, to imagine that knowledge about human bodies could give a human mind enough knowledge of other human minds, or its own self.

I am a political liberal, and a moral realist. (That seems to be an odd combination!)

I think animals have rights. However, I eat meat. Contradiction?

My beliefs about psychology and morality are independent of my beliefs in God and paranormal phenomena. Although the latter beliefs cause me intellectual embarrassment, they don't seem irrational.

What little education I have is in pure mathematics, although even that is incomplete (in a more damning sense than that in which everyone's education is always incomplete). I have also done a fair amount of unsystematic and sporadic reading, over the years, on the subject of mental illness (so called) and psychotherapy.

I haven't studied philosophy formally. I'm pretty much open to suggestions of what to read, although it is quite a struggle for me to get through any books at all these days.

I would like to learn something about Plato, Meister Eckhart, Locke, Kant, Schopenhauer, Kierkegaard, Emerson, Bergson, William James, Mill, Freud, Jung, Merleau-Ponty, Gabriel Marcel, Heidegger, Sartre, Popper, Feyerabend, and Chomsky.

As that last name suggests, I probably need to inform myself about anarchism, as a possible development of my liberalism. How well might it sit with my moral realism?

What is a git??????????????

xris

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 02:15 pm
@kennethamy,
Slang for a grumpy old man, generally speaking. Sounds like its from Germanic origin.Polite form of, miserable old bastard.

Twirlip

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 03:06 pm
@xris,
Yes, "behaving like a git" means behaving like a mean bastard. However, the word doesn't always have such a harsh application. It's a mildly insulting term, with no very specific meaning, and it can even be used with a touch of affection.

Have you ever heard of Victor Meldrew? He's a sad old git, but not a bastard, and he's quite a sympathetic character in many ways. I like him, and probably also resemble him, except that I don't shoot my mouth off the way he does!

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Confused old git joins the group :-)
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 05:06:09