Hullo everyone :)

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Hullo everyone :)

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 02:41 pm
Hey everyone, new guy here. I've been getting more and more interested in philosophy in general during the past year or so, and now I'm beginning to take it a little more seriously. Growing up in a pre-dominantly mormon community, I've felt somewhtat stifled and held back when it comes to any ideas besides mormonism, so it is very nice to find such a place online, where other ideas are accepted and openly discussed. I guess all my questions haven't been sufficiently answered by my mormon upbringing, so hopefully some can be answered here. It's great to be among thinking people. Smile

Pythagorean

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 04:19 pm
@Red Rover,
Welcome to the forums, it's great to have you among the community Red Rover. I wish you well on your journey to acquire new knowledge.

I have recently and reluctantly been entertaining the idea that philosophy is an amoral enterprise, generally speaking. That is, in part, because philosophy reveals morality to be mere convention. It was by way of reading Friedrich Heinrich Jacobi that lead me to think this, he believed that the Enlightenment and Kantian philosophy lead to nihilism. Anyway, its something to think about. Perhaps we could discuss this at some point. :bigsmile:

Leonard

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 09:40 pm
@Red Rover,
Hello and welcome to the forum. Thank you for joining. Unique thinking is very much appreciated here.

jgweed

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 06:34 am
@Red Rover,
The intellect can grow only by earnest and authentic dialogue in one form or another, and by attempting in a open manner to understand different perspectives.
Hopefully, Philforum will be a means for growth.
Welcome to the community!
Regards,
John

GoshisDead

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 05:45 pm
@jgweed,
Hey Red:
I also grew up in a similar community S.E. Idaho. After becoming 'educated' it took me a while to reconcile what I 'know' (as indoctrination) and what i "know" (as experience), and what I know. It can be done. All upbringings tend to be stifling, because what you expereince as a kid is formative and even the broadest range of experience is still that which forms you and other trains of thought and other experiences are not within that realm. So feel free to dabble and ponder and reform, i would suggest not throwing out your formative years without serious reflection. I seem to see a lot of reactionary rebellion here on the forum and it sort of depresses me. Anyway cheers and welcome,
Russ

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Hullo everyone :)
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 03:40:22