Hello!

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 04:19 pm
I joined this forum because I have been in the throes of an existential crisis for around a year. The deeper and more thoughtfully that I question the world around me, the more questions I come up with and the less sure I am of existence as a whole. I spend a great deal of my time contemplating various aspects of life, and come here to both understand the perceptions of others and share my own beliefs or concerns. I try not to see myself as a nihilist, as I am extremely hopeful for some sort of meaning to existence, yet the more I ponder the more confused I become. I guess I would call myself a skeptic at this point (who isn't a bit, though?). I feel that people believe I don't think at all about philosophical or "deep" concepts because I am truly "agnostic" in all areas of belief, yet I have only become this way through careful thought and experience. I have not been classically trained in philosophy at any point (I study psychology now), but have begun reading assorted philosophical novels and articles. I am interested in solipsism, epistemology and fallibilism primarily. I am excited to learn and debate on the forum!:a-ok:

jgweed

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 04:29 pm
@bukowski,
Those whose intellect is capable of questioning must become accustomed to not finding---or not being able to accept---certainty in the answers. Their world is often full of ambiguity and ever-finer distinctions, and a tentativeness that allows all things to be open to new perspectives.
Welcome to Philforum!
Regards,
John

Aemun

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 09:05 am
@bukowski,
Hope you find some of what you are searching for on this forum. I too have suffered from the throes of existentialist crisis unfortunately I don't believe the answer usually lies in logic (with exceptions regarding self-image beliefs) so thinking about will probably get you nowhere. Unless ofcourse you realise that it is the thinking that you enjoy and then accept that to be a philosopher is your fate. Who knows what intricately individual path you shall walk? I profess - not I!

Look forward to hearing your views.

Leonard

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 09:38 pm
@bukowski,
Hello and welcome to the forum. Thanks for joining.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 06:34 am
@bukowski,
bukowski;119469 wrote:
I joined this forum because I have been in the throes of an existential crisis for around a year. The deeper and more thoughtfully that I question the world around me, the more questions I come up with and the less sure I am of existence as a whole. I spend a great deal of my time contemplating various aspects of life, and come here to both understand the perceptions of others and share my own beliefs or concerns. I try not to see myself as a nihilist, as I am extremely hopeful for some sort of meaning to existence, yet the more I ponder the more confused I become. I guess I would call myself a skeptic at this point (who isn't a bit, though?). I feel that people believe I don't think at all about philosophical or "deep" concepts because I am truly "agnostic" in all areas of belief, yet I have only become this way through careful thought and experience. I have not been classically trained in philosophy at any point (I study psychology now), but have begun reading assorted philosophical novels and articles. I am interested in solipsism, epistemology and fallibilism primarily. I am excited to learn and debate on the forum!:a-ok:

I have had the same doubts about existence. Realized at the end a practical approch would serve my best. Locked of internet et cetera for 10 years. World changed a lot. Less Hope and Trust. Let alone faith. Not yust in God, Plilosophy but also in socio-economic stystem. Ecological problem not to mention.

I started very simple live

Fido

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 11:37 am
@bukowski,
bukowski;119469 wrote:

When I graduated high school many years ago, I spent about a week in bed doing little more with my days than thinking, putting all I knew, or could know into perspective as I stared for hours at the ceiling...It is so seldom that anyone can catch their breath, take stock, and put everything into some rational order... We have to live on the fly, eat on our feet, or in our cars, read in the can, and go go go until we drop dead or retire...But; if I may say, certainty is the goal of the fools among us...People seek faith for certainty, and not for knowledge because the more you know the less you know that you know... The true test of knowledge is survival... And concepts are knowledge... As concepts go the most basic is not less or more deep... Each concept is a simplification of reality...For example, the concept of freedom is easy, and the reality is difficult.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 12:14:29