Hello All

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Mr B

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 08:30 pm
I wanted to say hello and mention why I joined this forum. Last summer I started to read philosophy for recreation. I don't have any ambition of becoming a professional or making a contribution to the field, but I do take my study seriously. The philosophical problems that I know about seem to be important, and I hope to come to my own view on them some day.

I am starting from the beginning, and am reading what seems o be a basic book, The Problems of Philosophy, by B. Russell. Parts of this book are understandable and interesting, but others are incomprehensible and frustrating. I may never understand this book, and a study of philosophy for recreation may not be turn to be fruitful for me. But I believe it might be that, even as an introductory book, it is difficult to fully understand without a teacher. I'm not reading Russell's book as part of a class, and I don't know anyone whose understands philosophy. So I decided it may help me to post some questions on this forum. I look forward to what will come of it!

boagie

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 08:55 pm
@Mr B,
Hello Mr B,Smile

Welcome, people enter here from all levels some quite well read on the topics and some not. The important thing is an active curiousity and it sounds like you fit the bill. So,again welcome make yoursefl at home and consider making a post on a topic that is an active interest to you.

Arjen

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 03:50 am
@boagie,
Indeed, curiosity may have killed the cat, but it also is the driving force of any and all philosophers. Bearing this in mind I would like to point out that a very wise man once said that philosophy knows no problems. The problems we know are situated in our language. This man is Ludwig Wittgenstein. He was Bertrand Russels friend. Bertrand was very impressed with him. It sounds as if he describes exactly what you are looking for.

I would also be delighted to speak of Russel. Wink

boagie

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 10:11 am
@Arjen,
Arjen,Smile

Welcome to the forum you are a little delayed with the interoduction but better late than never. I have a certain fondness for old Bertie he was the first philosopher I ever read, The History Of Western Philosophy and I wore that copy out trying to understand it contents. Again welcome Arjen!

Arjen

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 10:54 am
@Mr B,
Psst, it was mr. B's introduction.... Mine is postiuri te salutant.
Smile

boagie

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 11:38 am
@Arjen,
Smile Sorry about that, not functioning on all cylinder today I guess.

Arjen

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 01:36 pm
@Mr B,
Ignorance is bliss. Smile

Pythagorean

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 05:19 pm
@Arjen,
Hi, to all. I have found an online version of Bertrand Russell's The Problems Of Philosophy here: The Problems of Philosophy - Bertrand Russell.

I have recently read the first chapter and found it to be an excellent and stimulating read, one that really works those sometimes hard to reach philosophical muscles.

And by the way, welcome to the Forum Mr. B!

--Pyth

Irishcop

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 06:06 pm
@Arjen,
Arjen wrote:
Indeed, curiosity may have killed the cat, but it also is the driving force of any and all philosophers. Bearing this in mind I would like to point out that a very wise man once said that philosophy knows no problems. The problems we know are situated in our language. This man is Ludwig Wittgenstein. He was Bertrand Russels friend. Bertrand was very impressed with him. It sounds as if he describes exactly what you are looking for.

I would also be delighted to speak of Russel. Wink

Was that Schrodinger's Cat?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 10:57:09