Ars longa, vita brevis...Hello there!

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Ars longa, vita brevis...Hello there!

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2010 06:46 pm
Good evening.

I thought I would introduce myself with a short Latin quotation that sums up my personal philosophy on life. It means:

[CENTER]Art is long, life is short. [/CENTER]

This is my favourite quotation and i think one of the most inspirational.

I am currently in my first year of Sixth Form and I wanted to expand my knowledge and as I am studying philosophy, what better way to do so than through conversing with other people, to whom philosophy is important also? So, I searched the net and found this site, and having read a few threads I decided to become a member. Smile

Well, here I am.

Comments or criticisms very much welcomed, as I am rather new to this.

Thanks.
A.

BryceJones

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2010 09:15 pm
@AlexHoare,
only here wondering, what is the value of things that last?

Deckard

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 12:51 am
@AlexHoare,
AlexHoare;116740 wrote:
Good evening.

I thought I would introduce myself with a short Latin quotation that sums up my personal philosophy on life. It means:

[CENTER]Art is long, life is short. [/CENTER]

This is my favourite quotation and i think one of the most inspirational.

Welcome! I don't find this terribly inspirational. If anything it is a bit depressing. It suggests that there is not enough time to learn ones art. Maybe your reading of it is different?

Leonard

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 05:52 am
@AlexHoare,
Hello, welcome to the forum.

AlexHoare

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 07:44 am
@AlexHoare,
In response to your question on the meaning of "ars longa, vita brevis" :

Whilst I agree with your point that it is slightly depressing, I find that the meaning behind it is slightly different that even though life is short, the art of one's life persists longer than the actual life itself. The works of the great philosophers exist past the point where the philosopher ceases to exist. The temporal extension of such works and culture is much greater than the meagre life span of the individual. In a way, I suppose it is to say that even though I will cease to exist (yes, here I accept that the quote is indeed depressing) the art I have produced in my life, whether it be literary, artistic or philosophical will last longer. In a way I suppose it is to say that my life itself can actually be extended, my thoughts and works will persist even after my material body has expired. It is a way to live and speak for a much longer period of time. I don't think it is trying to highlight the fact that life is too short. It aims to show that even though life is short, the art we create can be enjoyed for much longer, and we must strive to be the best we can, so that we create works that can be enjoyed for thousands of years. The art we create in our lives is an extension of ourselves, we leave behind in the world a part of ourselves, so we never truly die.

Slightly morbid, I must agree. But it never ceases to inspire me to be the best I can, so as I can leave behind something worthwhile.
I hope that sheds some light on my thinking Smile

jgweed

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 08:37 am
@AlexHoare,
Welcome to Philforum!
To understand philosophy requires some acquaintance with the tradition as well as active attempts to "do" philosophy. Here you will have the opportunity to discuss not only the great philosophies of the past, but by participating in the discussions, an opportunity to create one of your own.
Regards,
John

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Ars longa, vita brevis...Hello there!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 10:48:31