Hello from an aspiring philosophical writer

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Hello from an aspiring philosophical writer

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 06:51 pm
Hi everyone. I'm Brandon Norgaard. You might have guessed that from my uncreative username. I wanted to pick something like idreamin3d or openeyez, but I figured it is important to just let people know who I am since I am an aspiring writer. I wrote a book a few months ago during time off from work and I created a website to explain this project and to allow people to discuss the issues covered in my book.

My book, which is called "Seeking a More Enlightened Worldview", is about a few things, but my main argument is that a new worldview can be constructed that is more enlightened that either those that are purely secular and those that rely on religious faith.

I largely agree with secular writers such as Dawkins and Harris with regard to religious faith. I argue that basing belief on faith is irrational. But I disagree with the new atheism writers on other points. The problem with purely secular worldviews, such as atheism and humanism, are not as comprehensive as they could be because they seem to assume moral realism without providing a basis for this within the worldview.

If you want more info, please visit my site: EnlightenedWorldview.com

One last thing, this is clearly the best philosophy site on the web!

Brandon

Leonard

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 07:59 pm
@Brandon Norgaard,
Interesting. Welcome to the forum; I think i'll check out that site.

longknowledge

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2010 01:08 am
@Brandon Norgaard,
Brandon_Norgaard;116181 wrote:
Hi everyone. I'm Brandon Norgaard.

If you want more info, please visit my site: EnlightenedWorldview.com

Brandon

Hello Brandon,

Welcome to the Forum! I'm sure you will enjoy it.

I visited your site and I was quite impressed. I even registered and placed a post on it. I look forward to reading your book when it comes out and entering into discussions with you about your "Enlightened World View."

Quote:
One last thing, this is clearly the best philosophy site on the web!

Next to yours, of course!

longknowledge

:flowers:

jgweed

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2010 08:14 am
@Brandon Norgaard,
Sometime it might be interesting to discuss the premiss that humanism cannot provide a comprehensive world view because it assumes moral relativism without providing a ground for it in their worldview.
Welcome to Philforum!
Regards,
John

Fido

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2010 09:10 pm
@Brandon Norgaard,
Basing belief on faith??? Okay; well I can see that I am going to have to run your electrons through a thought rectifier; and after that, you will be fine...

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Hello from an aspiring philosophical writer
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 09:55:06