Pursuing lessons of life with a starting question

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Pursuing lessons of life with a starting question

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 12:28 am
I am excited to start in this forum. I think it is very important to have these types of conversation . It is something I crave and cant find talking with ANY of my friends. So here we go :rolleyes:

Here is a question if anyone can answer....

Why is it so far that i cannot find one person who just...."get me" . know what I mean.. ? Does it have to be someone who has the same experiences and thought processes in life to just understand you completley on your mental level? Or are there just people out there who have he same "kind" of mind as you and you just have to find them. Or does anyone even know? or do some people just mentally attract and some just don't and some aren't sure what to think and don't know how to comprehend the person they had just met? :detective:

Deckard

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 12:57 am
@CrazyClieAqua,
CrazyClieAqua;114818 wrote:
I am excited to start in this forum. I think it is very important to have these types of conversation . It is something I crave and cant find talking with ANY of my friends. So here we go :rolleyes:

Why is it so far that i cannot find one person who just...."get me" . know what I mean.. ? Does it have to be someone who has the same experiences and thought processes in life to just understand you completley on your mental level? Or are there just people out there who have he same "kind" of mind as you and you just have to find them. Or does anyone even know? or do some people just mentally attract and some just don't and some aren't sure what to think and don't know how to comprehend the person they had just met? :detective:

I don't think it happens very often if at all. There are facets of your personality that no one else will ever understand. In some ways this is a good thing. Don't expect too much of other people. We are all working with limited information about each other and about the world in general. Welcome to the forum.

Reconstructo

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 03:02 am
@CrazyClieAqua,

If you're lucky you'll find someone who understands this aspect or that aspect. But that's enough. You just dwell on your mutual aspect in a situation like that. I know what you mean though. One of the great pleasures in life is being understood.

Faithfulskeptic

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 11:53 am
@Reconstructo,
Agreed, being completely understood is something special and I have yet to experience this, but if I did I don't know that I'd know what to do with it, is that the apex? Does everything else absolve in the background afterwards?
Still, I find that you do meet people that get bits and pieces of you, maybe in a friend or a mate or family member... but for the sake of peace of mind, you may not find it hard to get you, but do you get other people the way that they get themselves, or rather how you get yourself?

I find it interesting to listen to how others speak because they draw pictures with the words they use and by this you can tell how they see themselves, its like stepping into their world for a few minutes, of course if they're rambling I zone out eventually, but the point is this may be one of those primal instincts (for lack of a better description) that keep people motivated/searching...

People come together for different reasons, and stay together for possibly other reasons as well, there is no rhyme or reason, but knowing oneself is what I've discovered to being the key in this situation. Of course this is by no means simple as asking yourself to know yourself, but simply knowing your likes and dislikes will determine who you come in contact with and if you will stay in touch.

- a work in progress

Good-luck!

:poke-eye:

Pyrrho

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 05:25 pm
@CrazyClieAqua,

What, exactly, is it that you are wanting from other people? That they know everything about you without ever having learned about you?

CrazyClieAqua

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 09:27 pm
@Reconstructo,
as well as knowing that someone knows that you understand not only wanting to be understood

---------- Post added 12-28-2009 at 08:28 PM ----------

Thank you for the welcome

Leonard

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 10:39 pm
@CrazyClieAqua,
Welcome to the forum. Profound question; I'm not sure how to answer that.

GoshisDead

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 11:53 pm
@Leonard,
I often get the feeling that we convince ourselves that we are more unique than we really are.

bmcreider

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 12:58 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;115478 wrote:
I often get the feeling that we convince ourselves that we are more unique than we really are.

In my over analyzation of myself I fear that is a possibility. Which, genetically, it is true - we aren't that different at all. But, thoughts are intangible, and in a way immeasurable - difference is in perception, I think.

But, to the OP, I am new here myself, and although I wish it was a bit more active, or there were more users, I do find some refuge. Like you, I can't seem to find anyone with the level of understanding or empathy, or thought most of the time, to talk about mentally stimulating subjects like philosophy, etc.

I think there are many reasons why people may not "get" you or me. Culture, human nature, mass media; there are many culrpits.

I wonder if the type of person that would be "philosophical" in nature, or ask "the big questions", would be predisposed to anxiety because of not being "understood" or having affirmation from many people for your particular point of view (in the way shallow politics works, or brand names).

GoshisDead

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 01:54 pm
@bmcreider,
Unique experience does not necessarily result in unique behavior. Social science and philosophy are made possible by the mass behavioral homogenization of heterogenous experience. I would propose that it may be the simple physical separation between that which is me and that which is s/he, which makes us feel isolated with our experiences. In other words no one gets us because if they did it would threaten our indentities.

bmcreider

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 05:21 pm
@CrazyClieAqua,
That's a good point, I suppose. Unique experiences do not necessarily translate into unique behavior. Would you say that our perceptions are unique? That and/or our analyzation of those perceptions / experiences?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Pursuing lessons of life with a starting question
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/21/2024 at 04:18:06