are we at the end of our thinking?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » are we at the end of our thinking?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

dan b

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 12:45 am
I have been thinking a long time. Is this what phylosophy is. Can we think without words? Is that a phylosophical question? Do we think from our natural human instincts or do we think from a spirit we are that is beyond the body? I don't think without words and it's not my body doing it. Is this philosophy? Let talk about it. dan b

kennethamy

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 01:05 am
@dan b,
dan b;114560 wrote:
I have been thinking a long time. Is this what phylosophy is. Can we think without words? Is that a phylosophical question? Do we think from our natural human instincts or do we think from a spirit we are that is beyond the body? I don't think without words and it's not my body doing it. Is this philosophy? Let talk about it. dan b

If I think about whether I should skip lunch today, that is not what philosophy is about. So just because you are thinking doesn't mean you are philosophizing.

Reconstructo

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 01:42 am
@dan b,
dan b;114560 wrote:

"Spirit" is one possible name for what thinks among many names. A person could say that there is just thought, including the thought of the spirit, but that there is no spirit and no body. Body and spirit just being thoughts.

All sorts of way you can go. I think these are philosophical questions.

I don't we are at the end of our thinking or ever will be. A new metaphor can open territory that didn't seem to exist before.

dan b

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 05:22 pm
@Reconstructo,
To complete a though we must consider three factors. A substance, it's characteristics, and the effect that it has upon us. For human thought these three are inseparable. Each is not possible without the other two just as a shape is not possible to enclose without a minimum of two other points.
For human beings the ability to focus upon a single point, aspect or characteristic requirers matter. Solid material can give refuge for human awareness. Without something to focus upon awareness has no object and therefore consciousness could not be manifest at all!

So even this little bit of definition of what is thought seems to show that it is not free at all but already we can see restriction. We want to find and examine the restriction and characteristics to which our though is subject to. Then we will understand more. Now this is philosophy or is it some sort of mental pschology? dan b

josh0335

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 07:44 pm
@dan b,
dan b;114560 wrote:
I have been thinking a long time. Is this what phylosophy is.

I'd say thinking is a pretty important part of philosophy! What have you been thinking of for a long time?

Quote:
Can we think without words? Is that a phylosophical question?

Yes, I believe it is a philosophical question. What do you mean by 'think', exactly? I mean, I used to play football (or soccer, for our American friends) and would have to think of the best passes, or tackles to make at the right times. I was definitely thinking, but I'm not sure I was thinking with words. I'd say I was visualising.

dan b

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 11:55 pm
@josh0335,
I started wondering when I was yet 14 about whether we could think the same thoughts that we do, without words. I don't think so. Before about 4000BC in Mesopotamia people were just cave men. Thats because they hadn't yet developed a good handy gramatical language. Without it it's just one, two , three. Thats your thought. But when they began teaching their children to use language, they grew up much more understanding than the cave men before. In intelectual matters I mean. In the beginning was the word.Jn.1;1 With it he says, was everything made.

But this is another point that also very interesting. Are we really doing the commanding in our minds or are there two of us up there. Consider the Apostle Pauls definition of sin;

"For we know that the law is spiritual; but I am carnal,sold under sin. For that which I do I allow not; for what I would, that do I not; but whaat I hate, that do I.
If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good. Now then it is no more I that do it but sin that dwelleth in me. For I know that in me (that is in my flesh) dwelleth no good thing; for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

For the good that I would I do not; but the evil which I would not, that I do. Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. ....O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

So who do we mean when we say I'm thinking? Us or our body? danb

Leonard

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 06:18 pm
@dan b,
Welcome to the forum.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » are we at the end of our thinking?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 02:50:16