hi folks

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

taboo

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 05:54 am
Hi :bigsmile: every one good place here

I stumbled upon here while searching.I checked a few of the topics discussed and thought it is appropriate place to ask this question.

Any baby boomer original thinker you know (or could be some one younger)?

thanks

Leonard

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 06:39 pm
@taboo,
Welcome to the forum.

Fido

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 01:35 pm
@taboo,
I'm as old as dirt...I suppose that makes me a boomer...Welcome

Aedes

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 02:59 pm
@taboo,
taboo;114179 wrote:
Any baby boomer original thinker you know (or could be some one younger)?
Hey Taboo --- do you mean know personally, or by reading and reputation?

How about Cornel West? (born 1953, philosopher and social scientist formerly of Harvard and now Princeton)

Or Kwame Anthony Appiah? (born 1954, philosophy professor at Princeton)

Or Steven Pinker (born 1954, cognitive science professor at Harvard)

and many more... it's a big world and there are a lot of accomplished, original people out there in every generation

Fido

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 03:48 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;114455 wrote:

How about Cornel West? (born 1953, philosopher and social scientist formerly of Harvard and now Princeton)

Or Kwame Anthony Appiah? (born 1954, philosophy professor at Princeton)

Or Steven Pinker (born 1954, cognitive science professor at Harvard)

and many more... it's a big world and there are a lot of accomplished, original people out there in every generation

These guys are all about my age, and what have I done...I think I made the mistake of having been born myself...

Aedes

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 04:01 pm
@taboo,
I'm 35 and Mozart died at my age...

Fido

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 04:33 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;114470 wrote:

It ain't like he was playing rock and roll...He probably died of boredom...

taboo

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 12:57 am
@Aedes,
Aedes;114455 wrote:

Thanx Aedes and every one

Yea I have heard and read( some of them)about the old dead guys.I was asking if there is some one fresh and worth reading.Preferably some one who is not academician/politician/activist.

bmcreider

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 01:02 pm
@Fido,
Fido;114483 wrote:
It ain't like he was playing rock and roll...He probably died of boredom...

lol. I love Amadeus, the movie. I also like his music.

I attribute that to the notion that bright stars live shorter lives.

Arjuna

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 01:44 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;114470 wrote:
Hey, you outlived Jesus. All the cool people that came to mind were actually one generation before the boomers. Allen Ginsberg, Dylan Thomas.

Fido

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 04:30 pm
@bmcreider,
bmcreider;115614 wrote:
lol. I love Amadeus, the movie. I also like his music.

I attribute that to the notion that bright stars live shorter lives.

That nice romantic notion is all soap and no water... It is possible that Plato was no older when cast into slavery and sold into freedom...He might have taken a better lesson from the affair...Time does not help any of us, but when we slow down, many of the lessons of youth begin to make sense...If we could not learn when young because everything taught from the past was out of sync with us, then as we slow down the past catches up with us... I am certain that all the testosterone interfers with conceptualization.... But this fact, along with slowing down accounts for older philosophers... As Socrates and his host agreed, youth is like madness... Occasionally people create out of madness...Look a Baudelaire, and Nietzsche, or Dostoyevsky...Usually the mad are just great destroyers...

bmcreider

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 05:18 pm
@Fido,
Fido;115694 wrote:
That nice romantic notion is all soap and no water... It is possible that Plato was no older when cast into slavery and sold into freedom...He might have taken a better lesson from the affair...Time does not help any of us, but when we slow down, many of the lessons of youth begin to make sense...If we could not learn when young because everything taught from the past was out of sync with us, then as we slow down the past catches up with us... I am certain that all the testosterone interfers with conceptualization.... But this fact, along with slowing down accounts for older philosophers... As Socrates and his host agreed, youth is like madness... Occasionally people create out of madness...Look a Baudelaire, and Nietzsche, or Dostoyevsky...Usually the mad are just great destroyers...

I never put much faith into the sentiment, but it is a romantic notion Wink.

And I do agree, youth is madness, and when we slow down that's when we can make sense of things. To quote, "it is in our nature to destroy ourselves."

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 09:16:29