TW double S

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 06:58 pm
Hello There,
Philosophy is a relatively new interest for me, so as all gleeful neophytes, I am remarkably ignorant in this subject, but am looking to learn as much as I possibly can. I've read an introductory book that goes over the main branches of philosophy; admittedly, I tend to avoid the stuff about political philosophy. :perplexed:

I'm currently reading Nietzsche's Beyond Good and Evil, and upon completion of that book I'm going to read.... Any suggestions?

And yes, I love onions.

Theaetetus

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 07:05 pm
@Workhorse15,
Welcome to the forum!

After B G&E, I recommend more Nietzsche! Do yourself a favor and get the Basic Writings of Nietzsche and the Portable Nietzsche and you will have eight or nine wonderful translations by Walter Kaufmann. Just think, you would have the whole Nietzsche library minus three or four books for about $40.

Otherwise, I recommend starting some Plato. Either the Symposium or the Apology would make great entries to prepare for the Republic.

Anyway, enjoy the philosophical studies, and I hope you enjoy your stay here at the Philosophy Forum!

jgweed

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 12:02 pm
@Workhorse15,
Welcome to the Philforum!
There is a discussion about "introductory books" which might prove interesting:
http://www.philosophyforum.com/philosophy-forums/philosophy-101/6102-philosophy-books-beginners.html

While reading Nietzsche is always stimulating and challenging, there are many other philosophers that are more straightforward, and just as important---or nearly so.

Regards,
John

Holiday20310401

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 03:33 pm
@jgweed,
Welcome to the forum.

Though the only books I've completed from start to finish so far are Beyond Good and Evil and Genealogy of Morals, I though that Genealogy of Morals was very much related to B G & E. It discussed the slave vs. master morality and discusses nobility more.

Leonard

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 09:50 pm
@Workhorse15,
Welcome to the forum. The other philosophers here offer as much to learn as any philosophy course, and we would all be glad to discuss. As for a book I suggest the biography Nietzsche by Ronald Hayman. Great intro to Nietzsche that any fan of him would appreciate. Of course, there are many other great philosophical reads. But for now, i'll see you around.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 05:16:25