hey...

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 10:29 am
Hello everyone,
I'm from Germany and I'm 22 years old. Just started studying philosophy. I hope this forum will help me if I have problems and deepen my understanding of several lectures etc.

Emil

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 10:46 am
@rottenzombie,
rottenzombie;103446 wrote:
Hello everyone,
I'm from Germany and I'm 22 years old. Just started studying philosophy. I hope this forum will help me if I have problems and deepen my understanding of several lectures etc.

Hey,

I am 20 and I am from Denmark. I hope you will find it worthwhile. I've been studying it for years. Anything particular in philosophy that interests you? People here may be able to give you useful suggestions.

Ich kann ein bisschen Deutsch sprechen und schreiben, aber vielleicht du kannst mich mit das (es?) helfen.

rottenzombie

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 11:03 am
@Emil,
hey,
I'm pretty interested in Epistemology as of right now.

of course I can help with your german:
"Ich kann ein bisschen Deutsch sprechen und schreiben, aber vielleicht du kannst mich mit das (es?) helfen."
The second part of the sentence is a bit off, this would be right:
"..., aber vielleicht kannst du mir damit helfen."

Emil

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 12:20 pm
@rottenzombie,
rottenzombie;103461 wrote:
hey,
I'm pretty interested in Epistemology as of right now.

of course I can help with your german:
"Ich kann ein bisschen Deutsch sprechen und schreiben, aber vielleicht du kannst mich mit das (es?) helfen."
The second part of the sentence is a bit off, this would be right:
"..., aber vielleicht kannst du mir damit helfen."

How serious are you with philosophy? I will refer you to different texts depending on how serious you are.

Ok. So, "me" needs to be in the dative? Why? As far as I can tell "kannst helfen" is the sentence verb. "du" is the subject and "mir" is the object. So it needs to be in the accusative, that is, "mich". Does it have something to do with the preposition "damit"?

Leonard

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 11:49 pm
@rottenzombie,
Welcome rottenzombie. I speak English more than German, but I really wish I could speak German more often. Anyway, I look forward to seeing you around the forum.

rottenzombie

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 06:17 am
@Emil,
Emil;103474 wrote:
How serious are you with philosophy? I will refer you to different texts depending on how serious you are.

Ok. So, "me" needs to be in the dative? Why? As far as I can tell "kannst helfen" is the sentence verb. "du" is the subject and "mir" is the object. So it needs to be in the accusative, that is, "mich". Does it have something to do with the preposition "damit"?

I'm quite serious, but I don't have that much time right now to do some extra reading apart from my studying. Of course you can recommend me some nice texts but I can't promise that I will be able to read them soon.

No it doesn't have anything to do with "damit", it would be "mir" even without it. "Kannst du mir helfen?". I don't know how to explain why it has to be in the dative.

Hey Leonard..

kennethamy

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 10:13 am
@rottenzombie,
rottenzombie;103606 wrote:
I'm quite serious, but I don't have that much time right now to do some extra reading apart from my studying. Of course you can recommend me some nice texts but I can't promise that I will be able to read them soon.

No it doesn't have anything to do with "damit", it would be "mir" even without it. "Kannst du mir helfen?". I don't know how to explain why it has to be in the dative.

Hey Leonard..

"Mir" is the direct object, not the indirect object.

Emil

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 10:32 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;103632 wrote:
"Mir" is the direct object, not the indirect object.

Yes, but that would make it the accusative and thus "mich" not "mir". "mir" is dative which is used for among others the indirect objects. I will ask my deutsch teacher tomorrow.

/derail

On topic:
SEP is your friend. There a great deal of good articles on epistemological subjects:
EpistemologyShould probably start with this.
The Analysis of Knowledge I think this one is especially interesting.
Coherentist Theories of Epistemic Justification Important article.
Foundationalist Theories of Epistemic Justification Likewise.
Evolutionary Epistemology
Social Epistemology
Virtue Epistemology
Naturalized Epistemology
Moral Epistemology
The Epistemology of Modality

kennethamy

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 10:50 am
@Emil,
Emil;103634 wrote:
Yes, but that would make it the accusative and thus "mich" not "mir". "mir" is dative which is used for among others the indirect objects. I will ask my deutsch teacher tomorrow.

/derail

On topic:
SEP is your friend. There a great deal of good articles on epistemological subjects:
EpistemologyShould probably start with this.
The Analysis of Knowledge I think this one is especially interesting.
Coherentist Theories of Epistemic Justification Important article.
Foundationalist Theories of Epistemic Justification Likewise.
Evolutionary Epistemology
Social Epistemology
Virtue Epistemology
Naturalized Epistemology
Moral Epistemology
The Epistemology of Modality

Or post on the thread, "Is knowing a mental event?"

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 08:12:35