Greetings

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 10:59 pm
Hi all,

I'm new here, I'm starting university next year, with one of my majors being philosophy. Over the last few months i've been awakened to my love of philosophy. My knowledge so far is pretty limited to the few books i've read (Sophie's World, Descartes' First Meditations and Plato's Apology) But i'm always reading, so hopefully i'll be able to keep up with you guys!

I look forward to discussing ideas with you all.

-Joey

kennethamy

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 11:14 pm
@evenflow,
evenflow;97087 wrote:
Hi all,

I'm new here, I'm starting university next year, with one of my majors being philosophy. Over the last few months i've been awakened to my love of philosophy. My knowledge so far is pretty limited to the few books i've read (Sophie's World, Descartes' First Meditations and Plato's Apology) But i'm always reading, so hopefully i'll be able to keep up with you guys!

I looks forward to discussing ideas with you all.

-Joey

Good. Plato and Descartes are certainly a good start.

jgweed

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 10:09 am
@evenflow,
A serious study of philosophy and the learning of thinking itself inevitably changes how you view the world in which you live. It alone can bring forth in clarity the perennially asked questions of mankind. The more you read and mediate upon these questions, and attempt to answer them (or at least clarify the questions in your own mind), the more a philosopher you will become.
Welcome to the Philforum!
Regards,
John

Caroline

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 10:53 am
@evenflow,
Hey Evenflow how do you do and welcome to the forum. So you've read Sophie's World by Jostienne Gaardner, what did you think of it?
Thanks.

Leonard

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 02:00 pm
@evenflow,
Welcome evenflow. Plato is always a good place to start with philosophy, and the members on the forum are helpful as well.

Zacrates

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 05:14 pm
@evenflow,
You will love it here it's a great place full of smart people!!

evenflow

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 10:20 pm
@jgweed,
jgweed;97192 wrote:
A serious study of philosophy and the learning of thinking itself inevitably changes how you view the world in which you live. It alone can bring forth in clarity the perennially asked questions of mankind. The more you read and mediate upon these questions, and attempt to answer them (or at least clarify the questions in your own mind), the more a philosopher you will become.
Welcome to the Philforum!
Regards,
John

That's so true. After reading Descartes' First Meditations it gave me a totally different perspective of the way I think. I don't necessarily agree with all his claims, but he does raise some very interesting questions.

It definitely gave me a few sleepless nights!

---------- Post added 10-13-2009 at 11:31 PM ----------

Caroline;97199 wrote:
Hey Evenflow how do you do and welcome to the forum. So you've read Sophie's World by Jostienne Gaardner, what did you think of it?
Thanks.

I enjoyed Sophie's World, it was a good introduction to the history of philosophy. I enjoyed that aspect of it over the actual story, although the story was interesting enough to keep reading.

I'm reading Bertrand Russell's History of Western Philosophy at the moment, for a more in depth overview.

Thanks everyone for the warm reception!

jgweed

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 08:23 am
@evenflow,
While Russell may not always be completely objective, his History is a great place to start. Remember: no philosopher completely understands another philosopher.
It seems to me that a great benefit of reading philosophers is to increase the number of perspectives and interpretations that one can bring to bear in thinking about different subjects and positions. Another is that by reading the great philosophers, one picks up different ways (and structures) of thinking itself, in a meta-philosophical way.
One certainly becomes less inclined to blindly accept the usual view the world presents to one, and develops a more critical stance by stepping "outside" of it. So if reading philosophy changes oneself, it also changes one's world.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 04:57:01