Hello

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 10:54 pm
Hi everyone! As you may have guessed based on the thread location, I'm new here!

My name is Kevin and I am a High school student currently enrolled in my Junior year. My real passion is computers (Hardware, software, programming... I love it all) but I am very interested in general philosophy. One of my favorite philosophical questions would probably be "Why is there something instead of nothing?" but I'm always open to change it if I happen to find any here that really make my brain hurt. Smile I'm also very interested in Space, physics, and Time travel.

I hope to have fun, learn, and if possible make an impression. Nice to meet you all!

jgweed

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 09:22 am
@mintybreath,
There is some kind of mental connexion between software programming and philosophy- - - perhaps it is the structure and careful thought both require, or perhaps the need to examine every step in a process, or perhaps simply the love of order.
Philforum is a good place to learn philosophy, both by reading and by joining in the discussions.
Welcome to BC!
Regards,
John

Leonard

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 02:45 pm
@mintybreath,
Welcome, mintybreath. I'd gladly philosophize with you, I also enjoy the study of space and physics. Anyway, welcome to the PhilForum.
-Cordially yours, Leonard.

mintybreath

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 04:46 pm
@jgweed,
jgweed;95171 wrote:
There is some kind of mental connexion between software programming and philosophy- - - perhaps it is the structure and careful thought both require, or perhaps the need to examine every step in a process, or perhaps simply the love of order.

I'd honestly never thought of it that way, but that does make a lot of sense!

Absolution phil

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 11:39 am
@mintybreath,
Welcome to the forum! I am a fake programmer, which means I do HTML lol. But every now and again I break down and do some Java or even pHp script which is similiar. What kind of programming have you been doing lately?

"Why is there something instead of nothing?" Is a good question! Sometimes I wonder if there really is nothing, then I try to prove that there is not nothing and I fail Sad. lol

mintybreath

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 06:48 pm
@mintybreath,
Mostly I do Java.
Freshman year I took a VB.NET class, and the year after I took AP Java. So I know Java and VB.NET through schooling, and self taught C++, Blitz3D, and HTML (Fake programming, haha ).

Absolution phil

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 10:24 am
@mintybreath,
Oh alright! So you are basically set for web design then! That's pretty cool.

Theaetetus

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 06:54 pm
@mintybreath,
Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your stay!

Caroline

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 03:12 am
@mintybreath,
You look like you're out of the Blues Brothers film!Wink K cool, welcome.Smile

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 04:03:11