Salutations from a Skeptic

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Salutations from a Skeptic

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 01:31 pm
Hey everyone, I would like to introduce myself and as you may have guessed, I am one of the skeptical philosophy. My philosophical beginnings were as an idealist, maybe even in a bit of Kantian fashion. So I studied the sciences in college, where I have degrees in Physics and Chemistry with a bit of Mathematics added as a minor. But I realized I couldn't understand what scientific truth was without fully understanding the scientific method from a philosophical perspective. And then it became apparent to me why many physics professors say it is an abstraction from observation and may or may not represent a true reality. Through this I began my journey as a Skeptic. I have been writing an article on Skepticism, as I found that if you write something that is under public scrutiny it forces you to understand and develop your own philosophical thoughts quite well. And here is that article The Stages of Skepticism (until geocities closes). For those who had the rare chance to know a philosophical skeptic, they understand we (including I) don't take our philosophy overly serious and are welcome to debate, suggestions, and consideration of other philosophies. I have already seen plenty of topics on this forum that I would like to add my 2 cents to, so I hope to see you guys around!

xris

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 01:51 pm
@Absolution phil,
I, for one, will look forward to your presence. welcome xris

Absolution phil

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 01:55 pm
@xris,
xris;93918 wrote:
I, for one, will look forward to your presence. welcome xris

Thanks! Let see if I can keep up with you guys, I notice some topics fly at light speed around here lol.

jgweed

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 02:20 pm
@Absolution phil,
Any paper mentioning Sextus Empiricus (and of course, THE philosopher) is worth reading, and I shall do so soon. I am sure, even at light speed, we shall find ourselves discussing many topics in the forums.
Welcome to Philforum!
Regards,
John

Absolution phil

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 03:11 pm
@jgweed,
jgweed;93927 wrote:
Any paper mentioning Sextus Empiricus (and of course, THE philosopher) is worth reading, and I shall do so soon. I am sure, even at light speed, we shall find ourselves discussing many topics in the forums.
Welcome to Philforum!
Regards,
John

Thanks! Yup in my paper I mention, Sextus Empiricus, Socrates, Pyrrho, Carneades, a bit of Nietzsche, and various tidbits of others. My older papers had more information on skeptics and doubters throughout history, but I have tried since then to dwindle it down to a few common things and reduced a lot of their biographical information. Right now its in a bit of a rough form (especially getting the stages I write about in a coherent form) and I have a bunch of random writings on pieces of paper that I need to add once I have time. Damn statistical physics homework! Wink

Victor Eremita

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 01:30 am
@Absolution phil,
Hi Absolution, welcome to the forums; thanks for the link!

jeeprs

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 04:39 am
@Absolution phil,
I am very interested in this topic and have been doing a bit of research on it. My view is that philosophical skepticism is quite different to scientific skepticism, which I don't think is really skepticism, but a defense of scientific realism. My orientation is Buddhist and there is quite a strong connection between skepticism and Buddhism. According to The Shape of Ancient Thought by Thomas McEvilly, there are strong similarities between Pyronism and the Madhyamika dialectic of Nagarjuna (which incidentally is one of the main streams of understanding that gave rise to Zen Buddhism). There are also resemblances between the skeptic 'ataraxia' and the Buddhist understanding of 'nirodha' (cessation of reflexive judgements and habitual patterns of thought).

So - glad you have joined the forum - if in fact you exist :bigsmile:.

---------- Post added 09-28-2009 at 08:57 PM ----------

Further to Buddhist-Skeptic connection, there is an understanding in Zen Buddhism called 'the great doubt':

Quote:
"An experience that is instrumental in spiritual attainment is known in Zen as the Great Doubt, which examines in a thoroughgoing way all assumptions and presuppositions... The Great Doubt takes nothing for granted and questions every outlook, and when applied to personal development it helps you act-react fully within - rather than half a step behind - This present moment. In contrast, unproductive doubt is preoccupied with second-guessing and revels in uncertainty."

Source

GoshisDead

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 01:32 pm
@jeeprs,
I enjoy a good skeptikal opinion.
Cheers and Welcome
Russ

Absolution phil

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 02:11 pm
@GoshisDead,
Thanks Victor, jeeprs, and GoshisDead! I will try to keep my skepticism in such a form that it will be constructive, because for all I know others could be right!

And with your comments jeeprs, it is known that Pyrrho did travel with Alexander the Great to India and probably parts of Asia. Many historians believe that Pyrrho talked with mystics, Buddhists, and various others via the use of translators. They think he formulated a lot of his philosophy from these discussions. Although during the trip he was already practicing suspension of judgment, so it was more like a mix of the two. I have always wanted to make a philosophical connection to Buddhism, but never found a source that gave me good information. Your quote is an excellent connection though, the Great Doubt is similar to a skeptic's own admission of unknowing. I will probably have to contact you and see if I can update a bit of my skeptical history with Pyrrho's travels. And this might be interesting for you, here is a painting of Pyrrho on that travel I was talking about.

File:Petrarca-Meister 001.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here he is on a boat with a bunch of people wailing in a stormy sea, fearing they might die, most likely on their trip to India and Asia. And Pyrrho is saying they should be like the pig, who is happily eating his food without a worry in the world.

jeeprs

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 03:37 pm
@Absolution phil,
Hey great graphic. Actually that book I quoted does mention the theory that Pyrrho went to India. (There are similar speculations about Plotinus.) Anyway - get that book, The Shape of Ancient Thought, it is a massively detailed study of the possible contacts and influences between ancient Indian and Greek thought, and there is a lot of material on Skepticism. I had taken it out of the Library, but I had to buy it, it is one of those books that takes about a year to read:-)

Absolution phil

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 11:37 am
@Absolution phil,
I will definitely look for it! It definitely help me make the connections I have been wanting to do for a long time. There is another book I have been reading, called Doubt by Michelle Hecht. It goes into how doubt formed thinking in the ancient world and beyond, and includes a lot of thought in India as well. But it seems to be of more of an atheistic view and doesn't dwell too much philosophically. I am still reading it though, so I might be surprised eventually lol.

KaseiJin

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 01:33 am
@Absolution phil,
As the world turns, against out better, pure intuition, implanted solely by nature as revealed in the 'naked eye' of things, I look out my window and notice the sun is dropping, the student count is decreasing, and my eyes are tiring...

Alas, in all this meant-to-be reality I find room to make one more post, one last call for today (at least from the uni) towards my fellow participants on the forum...and what a more noble, and historical thing to post one of welcome; of happiness and fond memories of Avalon ave, Speedway, and that all grand, 22nd st !!

Welcome to the forums !! I'm sure you will find many places to sit and chat, romp and run in here 'bouts. I have no information on philosophical skepticism, but then must learn some. I look forward to talking with you later on !

Also, I'd most certainly hope to PM you some fine day (or feel free to PM me) so as to possibly create the chance of a closer exchange, so that I may be able to ask a few favors of you !! (Tis a grand campus there at the UofA, as well !! ) Catch you later !

KJ

Absolution phil

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 06:56 pm
@KaseiJin,
KaseiJin;94538 wrote:
As the world turns, against out better, pure intuition, implanted solely by nature as revealed in the 'naked eye' of things, I look out my window and notice the sun is dropping, the student count is decreasing, and my eyes are tiring...

Alas, in all this meant-to-be reality I find room to make one more post, one last call for today (at least from the uni) towards my fellow participants on the forum...and what a more noble, and historical thing to post one of welcome; of happiness and fond memories of Avalon ave, Speedway, and that all grand, 22nd st !!

Welcome to the forums !! I'm sure you will find many places to sit and chat, romp and run in here 'bouts. I have no information on philosophical skepticism, but then must learn some. I look forward to talking with you later on !

Also, I'd most certainly hope to PM you some fine day (or feel free to PM me) so as to possibly create the chance of a closer exchange, so that I may be able to ask a few favors of you !! (Tis a grand campus there at the UofA, as well !! ) Catch you later !

KJ

I get the feeling you either studied here or visited here? lol. Ya I enjoy things quite a bit here, life is good! If you want to learn bits of philosophical skepticism I can help you out! There are a couple flavors of it, Academic and Pyrrhonic. Although modern skepticism may even have more flavors. I can point you in good directions that have clear explanations of it and its various flavors. So far I am enjoying the place quite well! It actually surpassed my expectations. Fell free to PM me whenever, I try to help as much as I can! Especially if you need a couch to sleep on in Tucson lol.

arthur mann

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 11:33 pm
@Absolution phil,
hey skeptic absolution: i am also a major sceptic...i joined to see if anyone can help me with a quandary...if humans are a part of nature and evolution et al, why should we care if some of us die horrible painful deaths...after all , we have done the same to whole races and species and now, our singular planet. On the other hand, if we have totally separated ourselves from nature, why should we be spared at all? arthur mann

jeeprs

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 02:34 am
@Absolution phil,
"All beings fear suffering, all beings fear death. Knowing this, the wise man does not kill, nor cause to kill". Buddha, the Dhammapada.

Absolution phil

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 12:19 pm
@arthur mann,
arthur mann;97353 wrote:
hey skeptic absolution: i am also a major sceptic...i joined to see if anyone can help me with a quandary...if humans are a part of nature and evolution et al, why should we care if some of us die horrible painful deaths...after all , we have done the same to whole races and species and now, our singular planet. On the other hand, if we have totally separated ourselves from nature, why should we be spared at all? arthur mann

In the essence of Pyrrho, Skeptics in general ask why are deaths painful and horrible in the first place. Experience is experience, and I see no well-agreed upon way to attach good or bad to experience. It is those who think they have figured out nature and say things are bad when nature doesn't obey to their will.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Salutations from a Skeptic
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 04:00:03