2 be a nurse or not to be a nurse????

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » 2 be a nurse or not to be a nurse????

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

lucie 1

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 05:06 am
2 be a nurse or not to be a nurse????
Please help!

I'm 19 and am an assistant registrar in the company i work in. However after applying for UNI to do nursing months ago- i got accepted and am to start my studies in Feb 07.

I do not know what to do- give up my full-time well paid job and go to UNI??

All i know for sure is that i do not intend and do not want to stay in an office job all my life- it's just not for me.

Also i was and am only considering the nursing course as i wish to be a Psycologist or counsellor but am i right in beleiving i could study nursing then go down one of these paths???? IM SO CONFUSED

Any input or help most appreciated

soon2beRN

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 12:18 pm
I'm a little confused....you want to be a psychologist and not a nurse, right? Here in the U.S. the 2 are different academic paths.....now, you could be a nurse who works in a psychiatric unit or facility, is that what you mean? If you're wanting to be a counselor or psychologist you don't want to study nursing, they're not along the same lines in terms of academics. It sounds as if you've made up your mind that you don't want to do what you're doing now the rest of your life....in my honest opinion, you're only 19 and I think taking the financial burden of quitting your job to go to school full time is alot easier now than it would be when you're older. I was 36 yrs old, married and had teenage children, a mortgage and all life's expenses when I decided to give up my full-time job to go back to school to become a nurse. Let me tell you, we suffered financially...nearly to the point of devastation, but somehow managed thru it all. It was probably the most difficult thing I've ever had to do and would NOT recommend doing it that late in life...and the whole time had wished I had done it when I was your age. Whether you pursue a degree in nursing or psychology, I suggest you do it now as opposed to later. You may think its difficult now, but just think of how much harder it would be later on in life....besides the longer you put it off the less likely you'll end up pursuing your goal. Best of luck !!

lucie 1

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 05:34 am
thanks for replying, if i take the nursing route i would hopefully get into psychiatric nursing im not to sure as yet.

But at my job they want to put me on a chartered secretary course!

im just confused and i keep thinking and thinking but i just dont know what to do...

SharpknifeRN 1

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 10:14 am
Hi, Should you do what you are doing or become a nurse? That is the question right. Well I worked in the private sector as a salesman, and alot of other things, for over 15 years before becoming a nurse. Yes I made good money. Really though I got into nurseing on a dare from my wife, because I keep getting laid off. All I can tell you is my experience. As anything else you will always be dispensable. As a nurse if you do your job well you will never be out of work. There is also this. I remember the arguments, the sweet, the anxiety of things in those jobs now and I roll my eyes. No one will live or die, because of what you do as a secretary. They believe they will, but if none of it had ever happened it would have made no diffence. In nursing you will really be helping people. No many of them will still not be greatfull. Don't dream it. However in nursing we really do have the chance to reduce human suffering. That is your consideration. I go back and fourth myself. I loved what I did, I sold cars, but this makes a differnce. I don't think I could go back. I have been looking for a way to combine them. Haven't found it yet.

Ginger Snap

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 06:56 pm
I'm just going to give you the practical side here. There's nothing in the world that says you can't do both, but I assume that you will need a job while you are pursuing becoming a psychologist. Here in the US, you need a PhD to be a psychologist, which is about 8 years of schooling. So get a bachelor's degree in nursing. I took plenty of psych courses in my undergrad program, but you may have to pick up a few more to meet the requirements for a postgraduate degree in psych. Then get a job in a pysch facility, and see how you like it. If you are still interested in the field you have many choices. You can go on and pursue your PhD. Or you can pursue a Master's Degree in Nursing with an emphasis in psych, and work as a therapist. Or teacher. Or administrator. Or you might decide that psych isn't for you after all, and find another field in nursing that ignites your passion. There's been more than one nurse who started in psych and then moved on to something else (like the ER) later on.

You know, this isn't a destination, it's a journey. Just get started.

rascal

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 08:33 pm
right on Gingersnap.
I started working in a nursing home so i could gain some experience. an experiment to see how it feels to work as an Aid. Its not the magnitude or degree that a nurse does, but I wanted to get the flavor, a taste of it.
and I love it.
and nursing has a wonderful option to try so many different things to it.
The roads to that job you desire are so many.
Amen. just get started into it. probably at the bottum and as you complete those classes, it shall get clearer what it is you want to do.
hope this helps.
and as I ALWAYS say: thank you nurses for each and every day that you go to be a help to those souls in your care. You are special. You are appreciated by one out here cheering you on!!

lucie 1

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 02:07 am
thanks everyone for your advice i still havent came to a decision though :-(

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » 2 be a nurse or not to be a nurse????
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 10:13:11