Atheism vs Theism debate

  1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Islam
  3. » Atheism vs Theism debate

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 01:08 pm
Hi guys,

I know the speaker in the video and heard him several times. Its quite long, but I think worth it.

YouTube - Theist Vs Atheist Debate: "Does God Not Exist?" (Part 1/3)
YouTube - Theist Vs Atheist Debate: "Does God Not Exist?" (Part 2/3)
YouTube - Theist Vs Atheist Debate: "Does God Not Exist?" (Part 3/3)


I would value your comments.
 
Kielicious
 
Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 06:18 pm
@ahmedjbh,
Quote:
I know the speaker in the video and heard him several times


Which speaker are you talking about?

As for the video, I think its pretty good. I've seen it before and Barker has debated Hasseim(?) several times already, but even though Barker does a good job at responding he does make some mistakes that are clearly taken advantage of by Hasseim(?).

All in all, not great but still good.
 
ahmedjbh
 
Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 11:56 am
@ahmedjbh,
Hasanain Rajabali, I dont know him personally , I just been to a few of his lectures/talks, I have always found them interesting and worth attending.

I agree its a good video, both sides raising interesting points.

I couldnt help notice though, Barker seems to get angry a lot, and its as if he is angry at anyone who even believes in God. Probably some history there.
 
Theologikos
 
Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 09:52 pm
@ahmedjbh,
This is my position. I would love to hear your opinions and criticism.

http://www.philosophyforum.com/blogs/theologikos/857-god-disproved-revison-under-scrutiny.html#comment3574

This is good stuff, I'm glad you posted this. It helps me gain a better grasp on some theistic arguments.
 
ikurwa89
 
Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 11:55 pm
@ahmedjbh,
I saw this debate last year i think.. can't remember but generally I gotta say the guy arguing for his existence kept on quoting the quran which pissed me off... It just shows, he can't argue for a god without using a so called sacred text.

Quran was written by men, who thought the earth was the center of our solar system! (pm if you want verses and evidence)

Thanks...
 
Pepijn Sweep
 
Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 12:54 am
@ikurwa89,
ikurwa89;147421 wrote:
I saw this debate last year i think.. can't remember but generally I gotta say the guy arguing for his existence kept on quoting the quran which pissed me off... It just shows, he can't argue for a god without using a so called sacred text.

Quran was written by men, who thought the earth was the center of our solar system! (pm if you want verses and evidence)

Thanks...

The Arabs had more Science knowledge in those days. Worked together, conquered South of Roman Empire. Quickly.

Do not under-estamate !

---------- Post added 04-02-2010 at 12:06 AM ----------

ahmedjbh;94108 wrote:
Hi guys,

I know the speaker in the video and heard him several times. Its quite long, but I think worth it.

YouTube - Theist Vs Atheist Debate: "Does God Not Exist?" (Part 1/3)
YouTube - Theist Vs Atheist Debate: "Does God Not Exist?" (Part 2/3)
YouTube - Theist Vs Atheist Debate: "Does God Not Exist?" (Part 3/3)


I would value your comments.
 
jack phil
 
Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 10:42 am
@ahmedjbh,
'Too often philosophers ask whether it exists. They ought ask what it means.'

-LW
 
xris
 
Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 01:09 pm
@jack phil,
Its not the notion that god exists, its his description that lets him down. You can claim that life appears to engineered with purpose or like me you see signs of an engineers footprint in sands of time BUT you cant make claims, its your described god. Its your definition that is not logical or proven. Many faithful realise this failing and adjust their description but they always fail. IF he exists he is beyond comprehension.
 
ikurwa89
 
Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 05:29 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;147436 wrote:
The Arabs had more Science knowledge in those days. Worked together, conquered South of Roman Empire. Quickly.

Do not under-estamate !

QUOTE]
The arabs acquired the knowledge directly from greek thought during medieval times(Rise of Science in Islam), Yes they did indeed work together, conquered many.. But my point was, it was written by men.

Why do I say this, do a little research on ptolemy geocentric model, and how this was treated among the islamic philosophers especially with Al-Tusi, Al-Khawraizm and Ibn Sina etc...

No one of them claimed that the earth went around the sun? Why ?

Maybe it was consistent with society beleif? Maybe it was consistent with the quran?

ONLY one way to find out!

I don't under estimate arab thought and how much it had influence on european philsophers.. I credit and acknowledge the men/women who contributed to the fields of science.
 
 

 
  1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Islam
  3. » Atheism vs Theism debate
Copyright © 2014 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 10/20/2014 at 08:10:14