Eureka!

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 12:42 am
I don't know how everyone else did this, but in the course of what you might call my 'philosophical development' there was a definite division between the period of doubt and negation, during which I broke down what Descartes would call my customs, and the period of assent and creation, which I'm still in now I suppose. I remember it very vividly when I crossed that threshold, if you all want to huddle around the fire for a moment and here a little tale.

It was on St. John in the Carribean, my first time there-have been back many times since-riding with my friend on a public taxi at night back from the main town. I say 'on' because they are open air and drive fast as hell on the left side of the road so that leaves swing in and people occasionally fall out. Anyhow, we're both pretty drunk and I'm talking to M when I realize he's asleep on the bench, so I look over to the side at the jungle coming past me. It's a long ride, so I'm doing this for a while, and I start thinking about something from school-the book All the King's Men, about Huey Long (chicken in every pot fella)-when a phrase hits me from that book: The Great Truth. As you might recall, the one character drives out to California and is laying on hot sheets, thinking about his problems bakc home, unable to sleep, when he's struck by what he calls The Great Truth; at the time I had no idea what that was supposed to mean, still don't actually. But, the phrase struck me as exceedingly meaningful just then. I was still staring off the side of the taxi pondering this, kind of repeating it to myself in my head, when I suddenly realized that everything was relative, everything was 'as it should be', because there was nothing but life, and that-the meaning of life is to live. When we arrived, I stayed up all night, got smashed drunk and went swimming and that last sentence has been my motto ever since.

Anyone else have a Eureka kind of moment?

pondfish

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 04:50 pm
@BrightNoon,
I do have Eurekha moment. But it happened suddenly.

I am like everyone else thinking atleast few out of 6 billions human may be telling the truth or they may be knowing something we do not know.

It hit me suddenly one day that as a humans we can't know the truth because we are limited by words and language.

We can only rotate the definitions and meaning in those words. We relabel things to make it look new. We recyle.

We always wants to feel new and feel we are growing but infact we recycle same crap for past 2000 years.

There is a reason philosphy of 2000 year old still sound good now because things has not changed that much in human evolution.

The eurekha momenet is humans can not know the truth. He can only end up in a belief even if he meditate for 10000000 years. Why?

Because at the end you will going to die , when you run out of energy , you will try to form a belief to in order to save your life. Life comes first , truth comes second.

Truth without life is useless. So basically humans create a lie around himself such a way that he will stop seeking truth because it is endless path.

Philosophy is actually for fools who likes to live in the past.

Arjuna

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 05:21 pm
@pondfish,
pondfish;138740 wrote:
I do have Eurekha moment. But it happened suddenly.

I am like everyone else thinking atleast few out of 6 billions human may be telling the truth or they may be knowing something we do not know.

It hit me suddenly one day that as a humans we can't know the truth because we are limited by words and language.

We can only rotate the definitions and meaning in those words. We relabel things to make it look new. We recyle.

We always wants to feel new and feel we are growing but infact we recycle same crap for past 2000 years.

There is a reason philosphy of 2000 year old still sound good now because things has not changed that much in human evolution.

The eurekha momenet is humans can not know the truth. He can only end up in a belief even if he meditate for 10000000 years. Why?

Because at the end you will going to die , when you run out of energy , you will try to form a belief to in order to save your life. Life comes first , truth comes second.

Truth without life is useless. So basically humans create a lie around himself such a way that he will stop seeking truth because it is endless path.

Philosophy is actually for fools who likes to live in the past.
Yes, we're all slaves to our stomachs. Did you see through the lie you've cast around you when you realized you've created the lie to end your search for truth?

Sorry. Had to throw that in. I get where you're coming from, though.

pondfish

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 06:12 pm
@BrightNoon,
I do not exist. Smile

wildlife

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 07:37 pm
@pondfish,
eureka :brickwall: :whoa-dude:

Jebediah

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 07:46 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon;49208 wrote:
I don't know how everyone else did this, but in the course of what you might call my 'philosophical development' there was a definite division between the period of doubt and negation, during which I broke down what Descartes would call my customs, and the period of assent and creation, which I'm still in now I suppose. I remember it very vividly when I crossed that threshold, if you all want to huddle around the fire for a moment and here a little tale.

It was on St. John in the Carribean, my first time there-have been back many times since-riding with my friend on a public taxi at night back from the main town. I say 'on' because they are open air and drive fast as hell on the left side of the road so that leaves swing in and people occasionally fall out. Anyhow, we're both pretty drunk and I'm talking to M when I realize he's asleep on the bench, so I look over to the side at the jungle coming past me. It's a long ride, so I'm doing this for a while, and I start thinking about something from school-the book All the King's Men, about Huey Long (chicken in every pot fella)-when a phrase hits me from that book: The Great Truth. As you might recall, the one character drives out to California and is laying on hot sheets, thinking about his problems bakc home, unable to sleep, when he's struck by what he calls The Great Truth; at the time I had no idea what that was supposed to mean, still don't actually. But, the phrase struck me as exceedingly meaningful just then. I was still staring off the side of the taxi pondering this, kind of repeating it to myself in my head, when I suddenly realized that everything was relative, everything was 'as it should be', because there was nothing but life, and that-the meaning of life is to live. When we arrived, I stayed up all night, got smashed drunk and went swimming and that last sentence has been my motto ever since.

Nice story. I get Eureka moments from time to time. It's kind of like you get past all the words and logic and experience the truth directly. A mental jolt like when you remember the name of someone after trying for half an hour, or get the answer to a riddle.

The realization you get isn't always true, but usually partially, and without them we wouldn't truly have understanding, I think.

pondfish

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 09:46 pm
@BrightNoon,
There is no truth. Truth is so simple it does not exist!. Smile

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 02:00 am
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon;49208 wrote:

Yeah ! Constantly...Mostly mnemory lapsses:lol::devilish:

wayne

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 06:38 am
@pondfish,
pondfish;139785 wrote:
There is no truth. Truth is so simple it does not exist!. Smile

Aint that the truth. Laughing

kennethamy

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 06:49 am
@BrightNoon,
The problem with eureka moments is that people often have them, but have found nothing. Some eureka moments turn out not to be eureka moments, but illusions of eureka moments.

pondfish

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 06:54 am
@BrightNoon,
Truth is a truth except the truth. Smile

kennethamy

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 06:58 am
@pondfish,
pondfish;139878 wrote:
Truth is a truth except the truth. Smile

And that means......?

pondfish

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 07:07 am
@BrightNoon,
Word is a lie. Limitation of language.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 07:09 am
@pondfish,
pondfish;139889 wrote:
Word is a lie. Limitation of language.

So I suppose that what you just said is also a lie. Isn't that right?

Reconstructo

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 05:28 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon;49208 wrote:

Oh yes, and it's a great feeling. I would say that it is a seeing of order, justice, harmony, beauty, etc. A feeling that all suffering was justified, and that this suffering was the necessary dissonance in a grand symphony much bigger than me.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 06:05 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;155362 wrote:
Oh yes, and it's a great feeling. I would say that it is a seeing of order, justice, harmony, beauty, etc. A feeling that all suffering was justified, and that this suffering was the necessary dissonance in a grand symphony much bigger than me.

Yes, people who take drugs have that feeling a lot. In fact, they shoot up in order to have that feeling.

Reconstructo

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 06:06 pm
@BrightNoon,
I can already imagine it, though I will not read it. "Happiness is baaaaaaaaaad"!

kennethamy

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 06:15 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;155402 wrote:
I can already imagine it, though I will not read it. "Happiness is baaaaaaaaaad"!

Well, sometimes it is. For example, happiness at the misfortunes of others is bad. Or undeserved happiness is certainly not particularly good. The happiness of thieves and murderer at getting away with their crimes is, I think, very bad. Don't you?

hue-man

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 07:04 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon;49208 wrote:

I don't really feel like I had one instant eureka moment. My "eureka moment" was more of a collection of gradual instances of anguish. My initial reaction to this "eureka moment" was resignation. I began to deny my desires in the way of Schopenhauer before even knowing the way of Schopenhauer. Eventually the call of the will became too much to bear and affirmation became my only solace.

Indeed! To deny the night is to deny the dawn.

cluckk

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 01:22 pm
@BrightNoon,
Quote:
There is no truth. Truth is so simple it does not exist!.

Is that the truth?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 06:06:45