Are we gradually shrinking and lowering our standards?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » Are we gradually shrinking and lowering our standards?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 02:20 pm
Consider this possibility:

As our industrial civilization grows bigger and more powerful, much good is being done. But perhaps as individuals we are gradually shrinking in important ways. As is often noted, we tend to serve as small cogs in a vast machine. Perhaps we're gradually shrinking, lowering our standards and becoming more deluded.

This possibility raises two questions:

• Is this so?
  • And if it is so, then so what?

If this is so, then:

• There should be evidence. Many people for many generations have noted all sorts of evidence in this regard, but it is far easier to merely see such evidence than it is to actually grow and improve our situation, just as it is far easier to see, for example, the harm caused by greed and selfishness than it is to grow beyond such tendencies ourselves and deal with their broader influence in our lives.
  • We face great opportunities - including opportunities to improve children's education (which is one of my main interests). But we also face a crucial practical problem: the more we shrink, the more room there is for us to grow and improve our situation, but the less willing and able we are to achieve this.

I go into all of this in more detail on my website, Wisdom and Delusion, at:

Wisdom and Delusion

My main feeling regarding philosophy [and history and virtually everything in life] is the following:

Everything is so fantastically complex, and our understanding is so limited. I know it's a cliche, but I do feel that we're like the six blind people feeling around on the elephant, comparing notes and trying to understand it better. I'd love to hear from you ... to get feedback from fellow "blind" people.

John Jordan Surprised

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » Are we gradually shrinking and lowering our standards?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 07:45:02