The Ultimate Trip

1. xFamily
  2. » Contact Editors
  3. » The Ultimate Trip

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 12:04 am
The Ultimate Trip
does anyone know where I can see this documentary/story?

I saw it in mid 1993 and also, the acts of the revolution etc.
bad memories mostly....some friends were curious....I wanted to show them footage of my dad etc.

Peter Frouman

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 08:19 am
Re: The Ultimate Trip
Oplexicon wrote:
does anyone know where I can see this documentary/story?

I saw it in 1987 at the SATTC in Peru. I don't have a copy but if anyone does, I would definitely be interested in adding it to the xFamily.org video archive. There is a copy in the Boston Public Library Media Catalog but apparently it is "for programming use by libraries and organizations in Massachusetts" and "not available for use by individual borrowers." According to WorldCat.org, it can also be found in 5 more libraries in the United States. However, even assuming one could get one of these libraries to loan it for use outside the library, the problem is that it is on 16mm film which is not very easy to transfer to a VHS tape or DVD and requires special equipment (telecine).

It was definitely the most positive TV coverage ever broadcast about the COG and it seems they treated it as a half-hour advertisement for the cult. Besides showing it to their children in the mid-1980s, during the early 1970s they often arranged for public screenings of the film.

Peter Frouman

Reply Fri 23 May, 2008 06:50 pm
I received a 16mm film reel of "The Ultimate Trip" today and I'm going to try to transfer it to DVD. I bought a Singer Graflex 16mm Instaload projector and an Ambico video transfer box on ebay. When they arrive, I'll still need a camera to capture the video. Hopefully, I'll be able to get it to work.

http://media.xfamily.org/ultimate-trip-film.jpg

Peter Frouman

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 07:17 pm
My first attempt at transferring the film can be found at the link below. Besides the problems with the video itself, there are some problems with the audio. I'm not sure if the audio problem is with the film or with the projector I'm using although I suspect it's the projector. I was able to remove a lot of the flicker using Donal Graft's Deflicker filter for VirtualDub but there are still some issues. I'll have the film for a few more weeks so I am going to try some other transfer methods to see if can get better results. Also, someone is sending me a VHS tape of the film and I should receive it next week. The tape is reportedly in poor condition but I am going to try to see if I can clean it and run the video through a time base corrector to restore it. I may be able to at least get audio from it and use it to replace the other audio if I can figure out how to get the sync right.

http://media.xfamily.org/video/tv/ultimate-trip-1971-v1.avi (31 minutes, 100MB)

Oplexicon

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 04:50 am
I never got an email notifying me...nice job then and thanks.
I did wanna talk to you anyway. I suppose you can email me when your free.

1. xFamily
  2. » Contact Editors
  3. » The Ultimate Trip
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 12:42:09