1. xFamily
  2. » Contact Editors
  3. » Concerning Merry (Mene)

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Piram

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 07:14 am
Concerning Merry (Mene)
I have read under the title Merry Today, the following on this website:

In what is seen by many former members as the end result of David Berg's self-fulfilling prophecies, today Merry is addicted to methamphetamine, turning tricks on Southern California beaches and struggling to stay alive. Her mother has claimed that "She's just given up on life."

However, what I haven´t seen is anything that documents these affirmations, which are very serious, as factual. What research has been made that prompted you to post this? Also: maybe I overlooked it, but there doesn´t seem to be any reference, chronological or otherwise for the quote from Merry´s mother.
I´d appreciate you explaining this to me. Thanks very much for your time and effort.
A former member of TF, formerly known as Piram

Monger 1

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 07:36 am
While the claims above about Merry's current state are generally known by a number of former Family members who know or have met Merry in recent years, it is indeed a very serious claim, which we would not likely have published had the information not previously appeared in Rolling Stone magazine:

Quote:
Eventually, in the early Nineties, Mene was institutionalized in Texas. Today she is a frail thirty-three-year-old, addicted to methamphetamine, turning tricks on Southern California beaches and struggling to stay alive. "She's just given up on life," Mene's mother says. "She's committing suicide without committing suicide. She's doing it slowly."

-- Rolling Stone: The Life and Death of the Chosen One, Summer Double Issue 977/978, June 30-July 14, 2005

Editors so far have chosen not to add details to the "Merry Today" section beyond what has already been published by Rolling Stone.

I will add a link to the source of that text in the article on Merry.

Piram

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 12:11 pm
Monger wrote:
While the claims above about Merry's current state are generally known by a number of former Family members who know or have met Merry in recent years, it is indeed a very serious claim, which we would not likely have published had the information not previously appeared in Rolling Stone magazine:

Quote:
Eventually, in the early Nineties, Mene was institutionalized in Texas. Today she is a frail thirty-three-year-old, addicted to methamphetamine, turning tricks on Southern California beaches and struggling to stay alive. "She's just given up on life," Mene's mother says. "She's committing suicide without committing suicide. She's doing it slowly."

-- Rolling Stone: The Life and Death of the Chosen One, Summer Double Issue 977/978, June 30-July 14, 2005

Editors so far have chosen not to add details to the "Merry Today" section beyond what has already been published by Rolling Stone.

I will add a link to the source of that text in the article on Merry.

Many thanks. Why do you think Claire Borowik referred to this article as an "inaccurate & pejorative account"? She certainly didn´t seem very pleased with it. Also, one could well ask the question: Why has Karen Zerby, the leader of this organization, never deigned to address the public directly on such subjects, indeed, on any subject, to my knowledge? (Please correct me if I´m wrong) Ambiguity and lack of transparency were characteristics I observed in TF while I was in it. It doesn´t seem to have changed, at least not for the better.

evanman

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 05:02 pm
Perhaps she's waiting for "Pappa Lion" to come to her during the night and give her one of his "revelations"?

Piram

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 05:56 am
evanman wrote:
Perhaps she's waiting for "Pappa Lion" to come to her during the night and give her one of his "revelations"?

I happened upon the name of the last "Shepherd" my wife and I ever saw in TF (Spain): Brian Edward Pickus, or Hezron. It says he was divorced from his wife in 1978, but I know for a fact that he no longer lived with her for at least a year prior to that. (And I think he had one child, a baby, with him) Although I had relatively little contact with his ex-wife, I remember both of them as having strong characters*, so I figure there must have been an unpleasant falling-out. If he indeed did what it says he did, it certainly looks like he fell to real depths. Looks like TF changed its policy on bailing out members, at least in his case: they apparently put up 70,000 USD. Certainly looks like at least certain members have been "blessed" with "the abundant life"... But much like international crooks when they´ve got to "take it on the lam" because the heat´s on, Brian Edward Pickus headed for a nice South American country he could disappear into: Brazil, where I suppose he can samba to his heart´s delight and try to forget about what he has accomplished -- or undone -- in his life.

*although in his case, perhaps a better word would be "overbearing".

Indian Joe 1

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 07:21 am
Quote:

Many thanks. Why do you think Claire Borowik referred to this article as an "inaccurate & pejorative account"? She certainly didn´t seem very pleased with it.

As the International Spokesperson for The Family, it is Claire's job to refute any material about her organization that shows it in a less than positive light.

She is sort of like those guys that worked for the cigarrette companies in the past that kept on telling the public that smoking really wasn't that bad for you.

evanman

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 01:25 pm
Well she certainly blows out a lot of smoke when she does --sleazy mare!

Peter Frouman

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 05:23 pm
Indian Joe wrote:

As the International Spokesperson for The Family, it is Claire's job to refute any material about her organization that shows it in a less than positive light.

She is sort of like those guys that worked for the cigarrette companies in the past that kept on telling the public that smoking really wasn't that bad for you.

This is true. However, we should not overlook alternative theories about what she is such as the one presented at http://www.oplexicon.org/tf-yaa/

Piram

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 03:18 am
Peter Frouman wrote:
Indian Joe wrote:

This is true. However, we should not overlook alternative theories about what she is such as the one presented at http://www.oplexicon.org/tf-yaa/

That´s the second time in the last 24 hours I´ve heard that song as the background to a video; however, the subject of the other video was a political leader. The song does seem to have struck a sympathetic chord in people´s hearts.

Peter Frouman

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 04:05 am
Piram wrote:

That´s the second time in the last 24 hours I´ve heard that song as the background to a video; however, the subject of the other video was a political leader.

The other one can be found at http://www.filmstripinternational.com/

Piram

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 07:22 am
Peter Frouman wrote:
Piram wrote:

That´s the second time in the last 24 hours I´ve heard that song as the background to a video; however, the subject of the other video was a political leader.

The other one can be found at http://www.filmstripinternational.com/

Yeah, that´s the one. Some real "jewels" in there... :wink:

Craven de Kere 1

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 08:05 pm
Re: Concerning Merry (Mene)
Piram wrote:

However, what I haven´t seen is anything that documents these affirmations, which are very serious, as factual. What research has been made that prompted you to post this?

I personally met 'Mene' after she was released (she'd been arrested again) last year with a group of individuals attempting to convince the court to mandate rehabilitation and treatment.

Piram

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 11:36 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Piram wrote:

However, what I haven´t seen is anything that documents these affirmations, which are very serious, as factual. What research has been made that prompted you to post this?

I personally met 'Mene' after she was released (she'd been arrested again) last year with a group of individuals attempting to convince the court to mandate rehabilitation and treatment.

How was her state of health, in your opinion? Were charges brought against her for anything? Did she finally go into rehabilitation and treatment? Or does the state just wash its hands of cases like Mene? And perhaps most importantly of all, IMO: Does she want help, or has she really "given up"? Because there are apparently a number of people that want to help her, but I suspect that she has developed a distrust for anybody who says they want to help her or convince her to change, because she may identify such individuals with the "altruists" that controlled and abused her for all those years. I know when I left (although I think I made the adjustment without too many problems), the last thing I wanted to hear from people who knew my story was what I understood to be a condescending "we´re going to help you, son".

Craven de Kere 1

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 01:57 pm
Piram wrote:

How was her state of health, in your opinion?

About what you can given the circumstances. My greatest concern was for her mental health.

Quote:
Were charges brought against her for anything?

I was not present in court with the group, and met her afterward while they were trying to convince her to take the offered help so I'm not certain what happened therein.

Quote:
Did she finally go into rehabilitation and treatment?

Not that I know of, she was eager to return to her haunts and her crowd within days.

Quote:
Or does the state just wash its hands of cases like Mene?

As far as I know, despite some impassioned pleas the court did its best impression of a revolving door again.

Quote:
And perhaps most importantly of all, IMO: Does she want help, or has she really "given up"?

She did not want to be reminded of the cult, and did not take some pretty insistent offers for help. This may have been exacerbated by some individuals who wished her testimony against the cult but my take is that she really just wants to do what she's been doing. I just hung out with her for the night, and tried to be friendly. She was friendly and cordial but subsequently eager to return to her life.

It's a very heartbreaking situation.

Anonymous

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 10:25 pm
Piram wrote:
evanman wrote:

I happened upon the name of the last "Shepherd" my wife and I ever saw in TF (Spain): Brian Edward Pickus, or Hezron. It says he was divorced from his wife in 1978, but I know for a fact that he no longer lived with her for at least a year prior to that. (And I think he had one child, a baby, with him) Although I had relatively little contact with his ex-wife, I remember both of them as having strong characters*, so I figure there must have been an unpleasant falling-out. If he indeed did what it says he did, it certainly looks like he fell to real depths. Looks like TF changed its policy on bailing out members, at least in his case: they apparently put up 70,000 USD. Certainly looks like at least certain members have been "blessed" with "the abundant life"... But much like international crooks when they´ve got to "take it on the lam" because the heat´s on, Brian Edward Pickus headed for a nice South American country he could disappear into: Brazil, where I suppose he can samba to his heart´s delight and try to forget about what he has accomplished -- or undone -- in his life.

*although in his case, perhaps a better word would be "overbearing".

Which "wife" are you talking about? Cuz he was off with a Spanish one after the "wife" the cult leaders put him together with at TSC. I believe they had at least 3 children together. Then he was with someone Spanish(maybe "Paloma") until he "fled" to the Southern Cone and hooked up with a real doozie of a cultie. I hear there are some stories about that pair, which got such a reputation for raising good little disciples that others sent their kids to'm (who just kept running away).

The Houston Chronicle series of articles on this site tells of some of Uncle Sam/Brian Pickus/Hezron Judah's adventures in lawlessness.

1. xFamily
  2. » Contact Editors
  3. » Concerning Merry (Mene)
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 04:50:11