Excommunication

1. xFamily
  2. » Contact Editors
  3. » Excommunication

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 01:55 pm
Excommunication
This might be nitpicking, but I have to ask exactly what it means to be "excommunicated" from TFI. The Charter states two things: No more fellowship, no more literature.

Is it safe to assume that "no more fellowship" means "doesn't live in a Family Home"--?

So what prevents the excommunicated member from moving in next door and maintaining regular contact with his/her spouse, children, and long-time friends? Does TFI turn down the financial contributions of an excommunicated member who decides to provide material support for his wife & children?

In other words, someone who is excommunicated is not necessarily socially shunned by TFI members. Is that a correct conclusion?

Monger 1

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 02:40 pm
Re: Excommunication
BlackElkk wrote:
In other words, someone who is excommunicated is not necessarily socially shunned by TFI members. Is that a correct conclusion?

Yes, that is correct, though more often than not the individual would be socially avoided, if not shunned, especially if they were thought to be "spreading doubt" (i.e. trying to encourage others to leave, talking about how their life has improved outside the Family, speaking against leaders, etc). Other factors such as the offense & circumstances under which they were excommed, whether the individual continued to support the Family, and so on, could certainly also affect the level of social interaction these individuals might experience with Family members.

I find it very hard to believe that the Family would ever turn down money from an excommunicated member, unless it would notably damage their PR image. Consider the well-known (within The Family) story The Loaf of Bread. The entire build-up serves to deliver the line "Thank you Jesus [for providing], even if you had to use the devil to bring it."

Porceleindoll

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 05:29 pm
One-day excommunication
Josiah/ Paul Papers was excommed for one day for molesting a minor. He was sent to a Family Home in the middle of Tokyo, to take word and prayer time. I believe I can safely say it was in late 1988 or early 1989.

Important to know is that usually these things are not made public to the rest of the group, nor the offence for which they were excommed, you find out through the rumor-hill. I remember the leaders making some sort of announcement that Josiah was taking a day off and you were under the impression that he'd gotten himself in trouble, again, but not specifically for what.

1. xFamily
  2. » Contact Editors
  3. » Excommunication
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 10/23/2024 at 08:59:12