Comic Books?!

1. xFamily
  2. » Documents
  3. » Comic Books?!

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 12:21 am
Comic Books?!
Greetings,

I am in the process of compiling information for an alternative/underground comic (comix) book reference guide with a British bent. In my fervent searching, I came across two publications that led me here, of all places! Their titles are as follows:

Poorkid (1974, Children of God)
Mighty Mo & the Spirit World (1975, Children of God/Wild Wind Productions)

I've searched high and low, trying to find actual copies of these exceedingly obscure publications and it wasn't until I tried searching for "Wild Wind Productions" that I came across this, and similar, pages, talking about a man by the name of "Mo," who apparently needs no introduction here.

Do any of you folks recall either of the aforementioned items? Were they what you would call comic books? They were supposedly printed somewhere in Britain, but that's all the information that I have.

If anyone could shed some light on this, or point me in the direction where I might acquire copies, I would be IMMENSELY appreciative.

Best Wishes,
Victor

Thorwald 1

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 02:09 am
Yes. These were comics. Actually, they were mainly just illustrated versions of "Mo Letters".

Poorkid discussed here - illustrated by Jacob.

"Wild Wind Productions" was taken from a "poem" (if you can call it that) called, "My Love Is the Wild Wind". It was run by Jonathan "Hosea" Berg in London in the early 70s. This is where the Family Symbol was made.

Peter Frouman

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 09:41 am
I think I have a Poorkid comic book/tract somewhere. If I can find it I'll scan it and add it to the archive.

Update:
I found a cover I scanned a couple years ago. Now I just need to find the original and scan the rest.

http://www.xfamily.org/images/thumb/a/a1/Poorkid-vol1-no2-cover.jpg/383px-Poorkid-vol1-no2-cover.jpg

vwlssknght

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 10:47 pm
Thank you, Thorwald, for the information, and thank you, Peter, for the scan. I appreciate the help!

If anyone out there knows where I might obtain a copy of that particular comic, or the Mighty Mo one, please let me know . . . I would pay very nicely for one! I like to have actual copies in my personal archive/collection.

Best Wishes,
Victor

Peter Frouman

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 03:00 am
vwlssknght wrote:

If anyone out there knows where I might obtain a copy of that particular comic, or the Mighty Mo one, please let me know . . . I would pay very nicely for one! I like to have actual copies in my personal archive/collection.

I've added a scan of the publication to our archive
http://media.xfamily.org/docs/fam/misc/poorkid-v1-n2.pdf

I don't like the idea of actually selling these cult publications. I spent a good deal of my childhood doing that and now that I actually have a choice in the matter I'm not going to ever do it again. However, I would be happy to send you the original copy of the above scan at no charge and if you want, you can make a donation to the xFamily.org Server Fund.

vwlssknght

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 06:24 am
Peter Frouman wrote:
vwlssknght wrote:

I've added a scan of the publication to our archive
http://media.xfamily.org/docs/fam/misc/poorkid-v1-n2.pdf

I don't like the idea of actually selling these cult publications. I spent a good deal of my childhood doing that and now that I actually have a choice in the matter I'm not going to ever do it again. However, I would be happy to send you the original copy of the above scan at no charge and if you want, you can make a donation to the xFamily.org Server Fund.

I really appreciate that and would be more than happy to make a donation to the Server Fund! I just sent a privage message.

evanman

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 10:35 am
I remember distributing "Poorkid" here in UK.

Cookie 2

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 02:03 pm
i loved that guy's art. it all got too serious and weird with hart drawing later on. remember those tight pants on "grandpa" in the dream letters? soooo creepy! Surprised

Anonymous

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 09:14 am
Cookie wrote:
i loved that guy's art. it all got too serious and weird with hart drawing later on. remember those tight pants on "grandpa" in the dream letters? soooo creepy! Surprised

Was "Jacob's" real name ever revealed? His artwork, at least from the cover of Poorkid #2, looks so similar to underground comix artist Skip Williamson's.

1. xFamily
  2. » Documents
  3. » Comic Books?!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 11:10:16