3. » Cop stabbed in face: row over sentence

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 09:19 am
Cop stabbed in face: row over sentence
Quote:

Cop stabbed in face: row over sentence

* Peter Gregory
* May 28, 2009 - 4:54PM

Victoria's police union and the Office of Public Prosecutions are at loggerheads over a knife-wielding attacker who injured two constables at a suburban shopping centre.

In its May journal, the Police Association accused the OPP of abandoning the policemen by not pushing for a jail term for 19-year-old Joshua Cannane over the attack last August.

Cannane, who was raised in the religious cult the Children of God, was released earlier this month on a partly suspended 20-month prison sentence after serving six months in custody

Peter Frouman

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 03:26 pm
"Memoir of a cult girl" by Danielle Cannane
Incidentally, Danielle Cannane (who may be a relative (sibling?) of Joshua Cannane) has written a book, about her experience being raised in Children of God/The Family, which has been or soon will be published by Random House Australia. Publication was apparently postponed a number of times as a January 2007 Sydney Morning Herald article lists it as coming out in June 2007 and various Random House catalogues list publication dates of June 2008, September 2008 and June 2009. It doesn't seem to have been published yet.

Quote:

http://nla.gov.au/anbd.bib-an42771768
Record Id: 42771768 (Australian Library Collections) permalink
Author: Cannane, Danielle.
Title: Memoir of a cult girl : surviving the Children of God cult / Danielle Cannane.
Published: North Sydney, N.S.W. : Ebury Australia, 2008.
Description: 1 v.
ISBN: 9781741664744 (pbk.)
Dewey Number: 289.9
Subjects: Children of God (Movement) -- Australia.
Ex-cultists -- Biography.
Cults -- Australia.
Libraries that have this item: National Library of Australia. National Library of Australia (ANL) (4315104) Pre-publication record. Not yet published

Quote:

Spectrum - Books
Coming attractions
SUSAN WYNDHAM
2139 words
6 January 2007
The Sydney Morning Herald
[...]
BIOGRAPHY and MEMOIR
Memory of a Cult Girl by Danielle Cannane is about growing up in The Family (both Random, June)
[...]

JimVandari

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 04:13 am
Danielle Cannane
I found this article of someone interviewing some 2nd gen cult sympathisers, including Dannielle, five years ago.
http://www.wwrn.org/article.php?idd=7564&sec=48&cont=4

As a second gen who was also removed from the cults custody in Australia '92, it's very sad to hear someone who went through the same experience describe anything that happened to us as traumatic or unpleasent in the least. For me it was a wonderfull brief moment of freedom where I wasn't scared of the adults around me for the first time ever in my life. And it provided me with a fleeting glimpse of what life without oppressive abuse could be like so that after being forced to go back to the cult's custody I made the choice to leave the cult. I owe the Police force, the New South Wales government and the Departmentment of Community Services my life.
Sadly, it doesn't sound like Danielle has broken the cult's hold on her but time can change that so I hope she came to her senses before she wrote the book.

1. xFamily
  2. » Press
  3. » Cop stabbed in face: row over sentence
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 08:29:17