My name was Ethan - Does anyone remember me?

1. xFamily
  2. » Connections
  3. » My name was Ethan - Does anyone remember me?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Ethan 1

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 11:48 pm
My name was Ethan - Does anyone remember me?
Hi all!

Canadian here !

I originally joined in Vancouver in 1970-71 era when the Jesus People's Army joined en masse with the COG. I played guitar (inspirationalist was the term then LOL) and ran the printing presses.

We also had a colony in Victoria and Nanaimo and had a food van that ran up and down the island picking up hitch hikers and feeding them, either bringing them to the colony (refuge) or the house in the city.

I met my wife up there - Jarah was her name back then. We moved to Dallas - ended up at the old high school in Grapeland Texas - I worked in the Printshop there too - printing Mo Letters.

We moved back to a small colony on the outskirts of Dallas with Happy (formerly Joab) and Honey.

At one point We were also shepherds of the Albuquerque colony and then one in Fort Worth.

We ended up eventually moving up to Nebraska with them but that was around the time we were 'ex-communicated' or having split off fro mthe main Dallas group at the time. my wife ended up going back and I stayed with Happy and Honey in Nebraska. I ended up leaving them as well - traveling with Joel (I think that was his name) and his wife and eventually made it 'out' completely near the end of 1975.

So if any of you can remember that far back, say Hi here in this thread and perhaps we can email each other too.

Ethan - I think my last name was Pick-it back then (since I played guitar - still do too LOL)

Colonel

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 06:51 am
Hello. Do you remember what time period you were colony shepherd in Albuquerque?

Ethan 1

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 08:13 am
Colonel wrote:
Hello. Do you remember what time period you were colony shepherd in Albuquerque?

Hi Colonel

It was around June 1973 through December 1973. We were very small staying around 6-8 people that whole time. We had members stay with us a while then move on to other places. I remember one brother Adaliah who was with us for most of that period. Our daughter was born in Albuquerque during that time frame as well. I also remember a couple that came through - Jubal and Senaah. He was a musician too - a keyboard player.

Would you remember Amos? He was probably in his mid to late 30s at the time. He actually was the shepherd in Victoria BC in 1972 and presided over our betrothal. Joram, was I believe the shepherd at Nanaimo during that same time.

Ethan

Colonel

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 08:30 am
I thought you might have been someone I had met a couple of times, but the dates do not match up.

I was in the Las Cruces colony for the first 6 months of 1972. Then we loaded up and went to Santa Fe. We sent some of our people ahead to stay at the Albuquerque colony while we were relocating. I spent one night there in Albuquerque as we drove to Santa Fe. I met the shepherd there but just couldn't recall the name. This would have been late June 1972.

The other names are familiar but I probably do not know them. Just in case we may have crossed paths elsewhere, from Santa Fe I went to Ellenville, NY in August 72, Puerto Rico from September 72 to January 73, then Venezuela where I got drummed out in March , 1973. Before any of that, I started in Atlanta, August 71 - then Knoxville, Dallas, TSC, and Houston before we left to conquer Las Cruces on Christmas Eve, 1971.

I crossed paths with Happy and Honey (Joab/Vashti) many, many times - Dallas, TSC, NY, and Puerto Rico, but I was a fairly invisible brother. Only a few folks seem to remember me.

Glad you've been out for a long time. Is this your first contact with ex-members?

Ethan 1

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 09:51 am
When we went to Albuquerque (from Dallas) we were opening a new colony so your visit was to an earlier colony there.

My wife Jarah and I have stayed in contact over the years as we had two children together during our time in the COG. She remarried while still in the group and spent some time in Puerto Rico before leaving for good as well. I think her experiences in Puerto Rico were so hard on her that that was what finally convinced her to leave. She had two more children with her second husband. When they left, they went to Arizona to live. I never knew him in the group so I don't remember his bible name.

Other than her, I have not been in contact with any other ex-members. I just happened to come across this site last night so it piqued my curiosity. When I looked through the old photos I saw many faces I remembered and it brought back many memories - many incredibly fond.

Ethan

Mary Jane Henry

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 10:31 am
So true - some of the very fondest memories of my entire life come from that very period of time! We really believed that we were on to something - we were the revolution! It was pure magic! I joined around the same time early 1971 but in Cincinnatti because we already had 2 children but we were originally witnesed to at the "Toronto Light Club"! I'll never ever forget it. Michel-amiah witnessed to be out of a very worn Bible (something I had never seen before!) and told me all kinds of prophesy out of the Word and when she asked me to pray the prayer of faith I said "I can't pray that because I don't believe". Instead of telling me to take a hike she said "That's alright, you can't believe until you say the prayer." and that is exactly what happened to me - thank God! My husband accepted Christ the same evening in another part of the "club". We did live in BC for a while in a colony in Peachland up in the clouds. Our shepherd there was David Z. from California, brother of Michel-amiah. Those were amazing times living by faith! We got out in 1977 I think. It was long overdue!

Ethan 1

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 10:38 am
Hi! Nice of you to join this thread! I remember playing guitar with David Z both in Texas and in Vancouver. He had this booming voice that could sing loud and clear! I remember his older brother too. Smaller, quieter, less 'out there' more shy and introspective. They did not look like siblings at all.

During that time we travelled so much. We must have literally met hundreds of family members. What was your name back then?

Ethan

Mary Jane Henry

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 04:24 pm
Rachel. I wonder what in the world has become of wonderful people like David and all the others?!? Did you ever know a couple called Abdi and Ono for example? Or Brimstone in Cincy? I guess they dropped out along the way and went back to their churches. Yes, David could certainly belt out the songs and we just took it for granted. What I would give to hear one today!!!

Anonymous

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 09:18 pm
No sorry I don't recall those names nor yours.

I will keep an eye on this thread even if it is to see others adding other names from that era.

I saw the pictures of Mordecai and remember him well. I worked in the printshop in Texas with him. I remember he actually fell asleep standing and leaning on the shelves where we stacked the paper!

When I left the COG, I at least had a skill that translated into employment! I ran printing presses for 9 years while going to university at night.

Ethan 1

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 09:20 pm
Anonymous wrote:
No sorry I don't recall those names nor yours.

I will keep an eye on this thread even if it is to see others adding other names from that era.

I saw the pictures of Mordecai and remember him well. I worked in the printshop in Texas with him. I remember he actually fell asleep standing and leaning on the shelves where we stacked the paper!

When I left the COG, I at least had a skill that translated into employment! I ran printing presses for 9 years while going to university at night.

Ooops ... that was posted by me... forgot to log in!

Anonymous

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 07:29 am
early cog
i think i did see you very early on--i remember joel and a few others i was with the cog in 197071 as neriah zebulon was at tsc and the la and seattle colonies. hope to here from others also

Anonymous

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 05:08 pm
Re: My name was Ethan - Does anyone remember me?
Hi, Ethan,

You don't mention ever coming to the UK. In 1971 there was an Ethan Printer at Bromley, Kent... if not you, then perhaps so named in your honour!

Warm regards,

"Jephunneh"

<[email protected]>

1. xFamily
  2. » Connections
  3. » My name was Ethan - Does anyone remember me?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/26/2024 at 05:55:41