For those who are willing to share their stories

1. xFamily
  2. » Connections
  3. » For those who are willing to share their stories

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

nmlicht

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 11:06 pm
For those who are willing to share their stories
I am a student and am writing a paper on sexual abuse survivors, particularly women. I am hoping to get a first-hand account of life in The Family and would greatly appreciate anyone willing to share their story. I am reading Heaven's Harlots, a book written by a former member, and am curious to see how close that story relates to other's. There is a possibility of the paper being published, so the more information I have, the better. Thanks!

Day 1

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 07:59 am
Women After The Utopia - The Gendered Lives of Former Cult Members by Miriam Williams Boeri is another informative article she wrote which covers much of the history and practices of COG/TF, particularly the difficulties female members encountered both in and out of the cult.

Anonymous

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 06:30 pm
Re: For those who are willing to share their stories
I was raised in The Family, I left at the age of 21. I only regret is that I didn't have the confidence in myself and way out years earlier.
I started to question all the doctrines, beliefs, etc.... at the age of 15. It wasn't welcome and got me into trouble, the "laying on of hands and rebuking demons" took place, I was told I was full of doubt and "out of it". I laugh when I think about it know, it's pathetic and makes me angry. I continued to question but turned it all inward. I lived in my head, introverted, quiet, and analytical. I began to write in a journal that I kept hidden, my only outlet. I finally had a way out when I turned 21, some friends of mine who were x-members invited me to stay with them so I took off .....somewhat scared, unsecure, lacking confidence in myself, but knowing that that life wasn't right and wasn't the way I wanted to live.
I hit the ground running got a job enrolled in a technical college..............and life went on............. now 8 years later. I am a Registered Nurse with a BSN, I have a successful career, am married to a good man, and am just beginning to face my anger towards the events of the first 21 years of my life, the anger towards my parents, those who I trusted as a child, who were supposed to protect and nurture. Getting in touch with other x-members is new to me, I haven't been in touch with anyone else with my background. This is something I thought might help me in my search to find resolve.

Cookie 2

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 08:27 pm
Re: For those who are willing to share their stories
glad to hear how nicely your life is turning out. i feel the same way. i regret not having the courage to leave earlier. but i'm so glad that i made the decision at all. it's led me to all the happiness that i have now as well. best of luck to you.

1. xFamily
  2. » Connections
  3. » For those who are willing to share their stories
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/15/2024 at 10:36:02