Encounter with COG Member in Charlotte, NC in 73 or 74?

1. xFamily
  2. » General
  3. » Encounter with COG Member in Charlotte, NC in 73 or 74?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 12:52 pm
Encounter with COG Member in Charlotte, NC in 73 or 74?
Hi All:

I just recently discovered this cult by name, but I believe I may have met someone affiliated with this group when I was around 15 years old in a strip mall off Independence Boulevard in Charlotte NC in 1973 or 1974. The girl I met approached me with a multi page religious tract and we spoke for just a few minutes. If she was trying to "flirty fish" me, I was way too naive at that moment in my life to connect the dots. I do remember that she was cute, maybe a couple of years older, and that i went back to that shopping center in ensuing days to try to run in to her!

At any rate, I did bring the tract home and read it many times. It was very focused on making connections between sexuality and christianity and I admit that as a 15 year old boy I had a healthy lurid interest. The only phrase I seem to remember from the tract exactly was the claim that the dead in Christ would be "ravished in the spirit" upon arriving in heaven.

Does this sound like a Children of God encounter or could it have been some other cult? Just curious.

Charlie

evanman

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 01:50 pm
Are you sure about the year?

If you are correct about the date then I would say that it wasn't CoG that you met as this would have been before FF.

Quote:
the claim that the dead in Christ would be "ravished in the spirit" upon arriving in heaven.

Doesn't sound like a CoG quote from that era, to me.

WalkerJ 1

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 03:20 pm
Re: Encounter with COG Member in Charlotte, NC in 73 or 74?
charlieo wrote:
Does this sound like a Children of God encounter or could it have been some other cult? Just curious.

Had this encounter taken place in the middle 80s to middle 90s, then it could possible have been The Family. The text on the back of some of their posters (like these)--especially those dealing with the topic of the Endtime--contained phrases similar to the one you mention.

By that time, however, Flirty Fishing would have been mostly discontinued.

Mary 2

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 03:58 pm
COG literature
Hi Charlieo - Even though FF'ing hadn't openly begun in the Family until later, there were some controversial tracts around in the mid-70's. At the World's Fair in Oregon, 1974, we were passing out a letter called "Mountain Maid" that had a very suggestive cover w/ a voluptous blond woman on it, so....who knows? This letter [Mt. Maid] was only a bi-fold ---however there were other publications available for distsribution to the general public that might have been around at that time.

1. xFamily
  2. » General
  3. » Encounter with COG Member in Charlotte, NC in 73 or 74?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 07/26/2024 at 05:46:29