Did Berg really write his own bible?

1. xFamily
  2. » General
  3. » Did Berg really write his own bible?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 04:16 pm
Did Berg really write his own bible?
This is claimed in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNfGdHUJEO4&feature=related
I know that Berg saw himself as the final word, but I wasn't aware that he had written an entire bible?
Thanks.

Cookie 2

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 04:33 pm
Re: Did Berg really write his own bible?
heh. NO, he did not write a "bible" per se, but he did write many "Mo" volumes, the contents of which are equal in value as the bible to family members for devotional and spiritual guidance purposes. and since they consider it the "New wine", perhaps of more value to them in relation to current issues. then again, they now say that he was mistaken in some things or to allow some things...

Sweetchuck

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 04:45 pm
So that documentary is full of sh*te on that point then. Maybe I shouldn't believe all I see on YouTube.
Thanks, Cookie.

Peter Frouman

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 12:48 am
Sweetchuck wrote:
So that documentary is full of sh*te on that point then. Maybe I shouldn't believe all I see on YouTube.

Not exactly. In the segment of the Egomania documentary where the narrator states that Berg created his own bible, a picture of Volume I of the Mo Letters is shown on the screen and it is clear they are talking about the Mo Letters. Berg taught that he was God's prophet and that the Mo Letters were "God's Word for today" and just as, if not more, important than the Bible which was God's Word for yesterday.

The first 8 volumes of the Mo Letters were printed and bound in the same way as most Bibles, with faux leather covers and attached cloth bookmark ribbon. The type of paper used was the type commonly referred to as "Bible paper." Each "Mo Letter" was not only individually numbered but every single paragraph was also numbered to facilitate citation. In the same way one would refer to a Bible verse by citing the book, chapter and verse, members would sometimes cite a particular Mo Letter number and paragraph. Besides memorizing Bible verses and chapters, members would also memorize Mo Letter quotes and all members were required to have a certain amount of "Word time" every day and "Word time" primarily consisted of reading the Mo Letters or listening to someone reading the Mo Letters aloud.

The documentary, which was less than an hour long, only had a few minutes to devote to the subject of David Berg so obviously they did not have time to explain everything in detail but it was indeed accurate for the narrator to state that Berg wrote his own bible.

m 2

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 06:00 am
Sweetchuck wrote:
This is claimed in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNfGdHUJEO4&feature=related
I know that Berg saw himself as the final word, but I wasn't aware that he had written an entire bible?
Thanks.

It says "Berg created his own bible".

What is The Bible as we know it? A collection of (mostly religious) texts that dictate the rules, guidelines, methods, and goals of the religion, which the followers of said religion are generally supposed to live by.

In light of that, how do the Mo Letters not qualify as "Berg's Bible"? They stated all of the above for members of the cult; and as Berg was God's self-proclaimed mouthpiece, it was essentially a holy text as well.

Sweetchuck

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 07:13 am
Thanks for your thoughts.
To me this doesn't amount to Berg writing his own bible. It's close, but no banana.
Other cults did write their own bible, by the way.
http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/3892011532/ref=sr_11_1?ie=UTF8&2115R1454S4ED31HLHHelpfulReviews3.s=SUCCESS&2115R1IONXRB1D8DBXHelpfulReviews3.s=SUCCESS&2115R3IRULA9SGAP14HelpfulReviews2.s=SUCCESS&redirect=true&2115R1IONXRB1D8DBXHelpfulReviews3.v=1&qid=1206181529&2115R1ZX7EBVWETI33HelpfulReviews1.s=SUCCESS&2115R3IRULA9SGAP14HelpfulReviews2.v=1&sr=11-1&voteError=0&2115R1454S4ED31HLHHelpfulReviews3.v=1&2115R1ZX7EBVWETI33HelpfulReviews1.v=1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Life
Their bible adds animal rights to Jesus Christ's agenda, which is nice. Wink

Cookie 2

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 09:03 am
PF, put that way (i didn't see the doc) i agree.

Sweetchuck, i thot you meant a literal bible, something like the Book of Mormon.

Sweetchuck

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 03:23 pm
@Cookie: You can catch the video on YouTube, BTW, it's only five minutes long. The documentary stated that "Berg created his own bible", and from what I know about him I don't think that he did.

Anonymous

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 03:21 pm
If the Book of the Mormons is the Mormon's Bible, Berg no doubt wrote his own Bible. Volumes of them.

A Bible is a book one lives by, and a book a self professed prophet demands his followers follow. In much the same way as Das Kapital, Mein Kampf and many other books became the Bibles to those who embraced the philosophies within them, The Mo Letters were the Bible to the members of the Family.

Did Berg write his own Bible? He certainly did. He put his teachings, philosophies, ideologies, and religious rules to paper, and demanded that all members of his religious order follow those writings. He intended that they be the Bible of his church, and his honchos ensured that his intent was carried out, even to the farthest extreme. There were Mo Letters that acted as Bible, and then there were separate publications that served a more administrative nature. Everything from who's cock your mother sucked to how many sheets of toilet paper you applied to your rectum was governed by Berg.

evanman

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 10:53 am
To "write one's own Bible" is a figure of speach, or to give it its correct term, an "Idiom!" There are many "Bibles" out there. The word has become synonimous with "The final say on the matter!" or "The definative book of instructions"!

The book we know, and some of us love, was given the name Bible because it is a collection of writings. "Biblios" being the Greek word that it comes from. Biblioteca is a Hispanic term for a library--a collection of writings. So Bible is literally a collection of writings.

So, yes, Berg did write his own Bible! It just wasn't the Holy Bible, but rather an UNholy Bible!

Cookie 2

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 01:24 pm
Has anyone considered that maybe Berg was a stand up comic and we just all took him literally (without his knowledge)?

evanman

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 01:43 pm
Not so, 'fraid.

BlackELk

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 02:13 pm
Peter put an interesting spin on the topic of where Berg's writings should stand in the followers' esteem the reboot document on Family history:

Quote:
We do not believe that his writings supersede the Bible.

Apparently, the followers today get to pick and choose which of Berg's rants they want to hear and take to heart. I don't remember having had that latitude when I was a member. This still leaves me wondering: If a contemporary Family member concludes that one of the revelations M&P publishes contradicts what's in the Bible, where does that leave him/her? In a double bind. There is a fundamental lack of integrity in what P&M have said. Put more crudely, the official position on the primacy of Bible in relation to the ongoing revelation of God's Word through Family prophets is a mindf*ck of intellectual dishonesty.

evanman

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 05:58 pm
Funny how things change. Iremeber being told that what Berg wrote was more important than the Bible as it was "God's word for today" as opposed to the Bible whcich was "God's Word for back then!"

The only spirit that seems to ever inspired Berg was the one that came out of the liquer bottle!

zflash7

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 03:33 am
No, He interpreted it.
Joseph Smith wrote His own and the JW's have there own even the catholics have a version of there own doctrine.
But Father David was simply an interpreter of the word. He himself said in the spaceman tape:- You dont have to agree with me. And this is a fact... so I agree with so much and disagree with so much.

byebyebird

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 05:31 pm
in quite a few instances, Berg said his words were the Word of God for today. Meaning what he says is relevant (though perhaps for just that particular moment) whereas the Bible --though also the word of god, is now perhaps somewhat dated. Conclusion: just trust Berg's words. The teaching of the Bible by Berg and leaders was something that happened in the very early years ( circa 70's ) After that very few family members --esp. new members, studied the bible to any great extend. Memorization was out as were bible classes except for a very short 'babes' course. Much was said about the importance of the 'New wine'. You will be hard pressed to find many new members especially in the 80's and 90's who know the bible like people who joined say late 60's early 70's. True, there were few letters then but the concepts mentioned were already in place. What Berg professed was writing the Bible for today. Like The bible, there were the practical lessons and the spiritual 'lectures'. In reference to the Apostle Paul, Berg said he was entitled to his opinion as much as Paul. As Paul wrote quite a lot of Bible that would put Berg's word's on a similar level. Berg saw himself as Prophet and king. A Moses like figure leading his people to the Promised land of love and God's grace and the fiery Prophet King David who had feet of clay. (convenient). Being also the end-time Prophet endowed him with great spiritual authority. from this I can only assume Berg saw his writings as at least equal to the bible and in practice, a replacement of it.

evanman

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 02:47 am
Your assessment is virtually spot on. Many pseudo-Christian cults have done this. The Christian Science movement has its own book that is needed besides the Bible, The New Jerusalem Cult of Swedenborg had his writings, the Jehovah's Witnesses have the "Awake" and "Watchtower" publications--plus their own unique translation of the Bible itself, the Mormons have their three books, even the Roman Catholic Church has its catechism!

Whatever they have, these extra books are considered of equal (in theory) or of greater importance than the Bible itself.

jeanleryenierga

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 08:38 pm
Everyone can rely on God's words, and so Berg did really written his own bible in which he was definitely inspired by God's words. We can write for our own bible because we are God's followers and we do want to spread His words inspired by Himself. I don't make any comprehensions regarding the God's Word for today, but the bible that was really written by Berg was just complementary.

evanman

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 03:07 am
That's exactly what the vatican says about the Catechism, what Mormons say about the Book of Mormon, The jehovah's Witnesses say about the Awake and Watchtower, what theMoslems say about Qu'ran, and many other cults and false religions say about their books.

One thing is a fact simply because a person get's wild ideas from the "spirits" doesn't make it inspired of God.

Much of what Berg wrote totally contradicts that which is contained in the Bible. Was Berg fulfilling scripture? I believe he was, but not in the way that he led us all to believe. He made predictions, which he stated that God revealed to him, that didn't happen--this makes him a FALSE PROPHET, regardless if he got a few things right.

He admitted to being drunk many times--do you honestly believe that someone who is drunk and has no self-control can be filled with the Holy Spirit? Do you honestly believe that someone who practices incest and paedophilia is yeilded to the Spirit of God?

yes, you may point to instances in the Bible where people did fall into sin (David, Bathsheba and Uriah, for example) but what you must also see is that they REPENTED of this, which Berg NEVER did. Not only did he not repent but he also worked hard to get others to follow in his ways. As the scripture says;
"And even as they did not like to retain God in [their] knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them. "
(Romans 1:28-32)

1. xFamily
  2. » General
  3. » Did Berg really write his own bible?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 06:52:02