Definition for "All Things" is missing for the glossary

1. xFamily
  2. » General
  3. » Definition for "All Things" is missing for the glossary

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 04:49 pm
Definition for "All Things" is missing for the glossary
I don't know what this term means, could someone please add it to the glossary? Thanks.

Anonymous

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 04:53 pm
Re: Definition for "All Things" is missing for the glossary
Ditto for "DO". Wink

Anonymous

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 05:01 pm
OK, got it, "disciples only". Still, it would help if there was a lemma for DO.

Thorwald 1

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 09:45 pm
Quote:
Still, it would help if there was a lemma for DO.

We already have an article for this: http://xfamily.org/index.php/DO

Anonymous

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 01:49 am
OK OK, back to "All Things". Wink

Sweetchuck

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 09:17 am
For instance, "All Things" mentioned in the subtitle of the Family publication: "The Adventures Of A Flirty-Fish!", which is described as "Another 'All Things' Sharing!".
Seems like All Things was a Family doctrine, what does it refer to, please?
Question
Cf http://xfamily.org/index.php/Flirty_Fishing

Sweetchuck

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 09:46 am
Another entry to the glossary that I would find useful is the "Ha!" interjection which is frequently used Family publications. I'd define it as being equivalent to the modern smilie emoticon. :wink:
If you know what I mean! Ha!
PS: also "fruit" (success) and "sweet" (as in a positive adjective for a person: Sweet Peter helped me do the dishes), "fare" and "fish letter".

Thorwald 1

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 04:17 pm
I believe "All Things" referred to the Law of Love and was taken from three verses in the bible: Romans 7:6, Galatians 3:13, and 1 Corinthians 6:12. Especially the last verse, which states "...all things are lawful..."

"Ha!" as an interjection is not unique to TFI. Sure it was overused, but they didn't invent it. See: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ha#Interjection

"Fruit" is a very Biblical (mainly New Testament) concept and most Christians know and even use the term today.

"Sweet" is what it means to anyone (speaking English): A nice person.

"Fare" is also what it means to anyone: Either money paid for a ticket or to travel (sometimes also in "fare thee well").

Where did you find "fish letter"?

Sweetchuck

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 04:39 pm
It's me again!
"All things": good point, thanks.
"Fare": I just keep reading about Family members having to earn their "fare", it seems to be a big thing for them and a constant worry, and it also indicates that they seem to be moving around a lot, which I find remarkable.
"Fish letters" I found here: http://xfamily.org/index.php/Image:FF-Stats-1988-10-01.jpg
They seem to have been letters FFers wrote to their fish after f ... erm, FFing, as follow-ups.
"Ha!": it did take me some time to work out what it meant. Like "fruit" and "sweet", and "'m" it sure isn't unique to the family, but it makes part of their lingo, so arguably it should be in the glossary (arguably = I argue for, you against -- Ha!).
Basically those are all words I looked up but didn't find. Crying or Very sad

Peter Frouman

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 01:04 am
Here is the cult's own explanation of the "All Things" doctrine.

Quote:

Questions & Answers on Sex, Freedoms & Relationships

DO 2718 7/91

[...]

14. QUESTION: But if it resulted in all kinds of problems, then all of that sexual freedom must have been wrong.

15. ANSWER: There was—& is—absolutely nothing wrong with the freedoms that the Lord gave us!

16. The Lord showed Grandpa that the Scripture‚ "All things are lawful unto us" (1Cor.6:12), literally means exactly what it says; that there are no exceptions, all things indeed are lawful for the believers in Jesus who are motivated by love. In a revelation, the Lord showed Grandpa that these "all things" included sexual sharing.

17. However, from the very start, the Lord made it clear that this freedom was being granted for a specific purpose, to meet a definite need. It was way back in 1970, when one of our members was needed on a road team & his wife needed to stay behind. While concerned & praying about this man, the Lord showed Grandpa that one of the girls who was going on the road team could—& in fact, should—help meet this brother's sexual needs. (See Pro.3:27,28.)

18. Although it was a rather shocking revelation at the time, the Lord confirmed its truth & validity with many Scriptures such as, "To the pure all things are pure," "All things are lawful unto me," "The fruit of the Spirit is Love ... against such, there is no law," "All that believed were together & had all things common," etc. (For a comprehensive listing of "All Things" Scriptures‚ see "The All Things Tree," ML #302A.)

[...]
54. QUESTION: Then when did the Family as a whole learn about "All Things" & sexual freedom under God's Law of Love?

55. ANSWER: It was in 1974, four years after Grandpa had first received the revelation about "All Things" that the Lord led him to share the news of this liberty in the Lord with the Family.

56. By 1974 the Lord had begun to show Grandpa & Mama that meeting others' needs for love‚ romance & sex could even be used as a tool to reach & witness to & win outsiders to the Lord. It was at that time that they were frequenting ballrooms in England for exercise & recreation, & consequently met a lot of lonely & spiritually hungry people whom they were able to minister to & eventually FF. The general principles & ideas behind this radical new outreach approach were then published for the first time in Letters such as "The Look of Love," "Beauty & the Beasts" & of course, "The Flirty Little Fishy." (ML#s 304, 309, 293.)

57. Knowing also that there was an ever-increasing need in most of our Homes, & trusting that the Family had matured & grown considerably more responsible since he had first received the "All Things" revelations back in 1970, Grandpa decided to publish the "All Things Tree" & the "Law of Love" Letters at this time as well (early 1974). By doing so, the Lord was mercifully giving the Family His Word to show us that the rather pressing—& in some cases, dire—sexual needs of the many faithful Family Members who had gone without sex for years & years now, could indeed be met.

[...]
61. QUESTION: If some of these "old time" leaders knew that such liberties were okay with the Lord, then why didn't they practice them?

62. ANSWER: There were cases where some of these "old-time" leaders were exercising such liberties. But these leaders usually kept these "All Things" affairs very "hush hush," thus the average Family Member knew nothing about them.

63. QUESTION: Why did those leaders keep it such a big secret?

64. ANSWER: For several reasons:

65. For one, they knew that the "All Things" doctrine of sexual sharing was pretty "strong meat," & were concerned that should their activities along these lines become known, it might stumble or hurt the faith of weaker brethren. Some were also worried about what might happen if everybody learned about & then wanted to partake of such freedoms.—After all‚ it could easily get out of hand! And some, no doubt‚ were probably afraid that their own liberties might be limited or encroached upon were they to become common knowledge.

[...]
100. "Some of these guys that think 'All Things' is for the purpose of having a spree‚ have a few things to learn! It is a crucifixion‚ not a spree!—And if you don't look on it as such & realise that that's what it means‚ a terrible humbling & a real crucifixion of the flesh, then you're going at it with the wrong spirit entirely!

1. xFamily
  2. » General
  3. » Definition for "All Things" is missing for the glossary
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 10:21:43