college entry for exmember expats

1. xFamily
  2. » General
  3. » college entry for exmember expats

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 07:17 am
college entry for exmember expats
Scenario -

Living outside of the US all one's life. US Citizen. Want to go to college in the US. No relatives there. No experience in the US. No HS diploma, although self-educated above a HS level. Limited finances.

What to do? Please give advice.

With sincere appreciation.

Anonomous
PS Don't rag on my sentence fragments, please.

jeanetteb1

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 10:36 pm
Re: college entry for exmember expats
Can I make a suggestion? Contact your board of education in the town you live in. If it is big enough, you might be able to find adult education classes. They may include GED classes, and preparations to take the test. Most of the time (depending on the state) you can get this help for free with grants. Talk to your board of ed.

Thorwald 1

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 03:56 am
Hello, Anonomous [sic]:

I had an almost identical scenario as you describe. Go to the nearest High School, GED center, Community College, or University and tell the local counselor about your background. You don't have to go into details; just tell the how much you want to learn (they love to hear that). You will need to have an accredited high school diploma or pass the GED exams. After that, you will probably also have to take some kind of entrance exams for your college. Don't worry if you don't score too high on mathematics or science (I didn't, but they are now my best subject). There are all kinds of scholarships, grants, and student loans out there (note: If you are not a young, single, white male . . . there are many thousands more). You can also apply for student-work jobs (they don't pay well and you are limited on how many hours you can work, but it is a good way to "intern" on whatever major you choose).

It will take patience, but it is worth all of the effort (and the debt). Good luck!

Anonymous

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 12:25 am
Thank you very much. Those hurdles are doable. The main issue is that domicile is not in the US, but in Japan. No GED offices in this booney town. Hardly anyone even speaks English. No relatives to move in with in the states. THAT is the main hurdle. How to get to that GED office and college admission office from Booneyville, Japan.

Anonymous

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 01:32 pm
Did you do any Christian Light or Abeka work? you may be able to get your diploma from them. Otherwise get a CVC diploma. While it may seem to suck to have some shitty family "diploma" it actually works. It's the least they owe you. HS diploma's mean shit anyway. Get someone to sign off on your "paperwork". My brother, sister and I all did the paperwork before moving back to the US and got into Uni just fine. Status Me: BA, BS:with honors, current medical student in for surgery, Bro: BS, now production quality control engineer for 3M, applying to law school, Sister: finished up her bachelors. The family sure screwed a lot of people over with their whole "education" approach. Good luck anything is possible if you want it badly enough

Anonymous

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 01:42 pm
Thorwald wrote:
Hello, Anonomous [sic]:

I You will need to have an accredited high school diploma or pass the GED exams. After that, you will probably also have to take some kind of entrance exams for your college.

you don't need to have an accredited HSdip. Many schools aren't. You DO need to take your SAT/ACT exam which should be offered by the international school closest to you. Not all colleges have an entrance exam. You do need to fill out the applications which are now all online. If you are a US citizen you can apply for financial aid once you know the school you are going to. You will however, need to have filed taxes for that year.
It's really quite straight forward
step one: get a HS diploma
step two: take the SAT
step three: based on your scores decide what schools you'd be interested in going to and apply
step four: apply for financial aid.

It seem daunting but I know many people who have done it and succeeded.

Anonymous

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 08:38 pm
I understand. Thank you. But my biggest hurdle is where to live and how to support myself. The scenario of arriving at the airport and taking a bus to college and moving into a dorm seems a bit incredible. Is knowing no one and having no relatives not the large wall I think it is?

Anonymous

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 10:32 am
If anyone has any further thoughts on this subject I would like to hear them. It seems like many of those who replied didn't quite get the question. The question is not so much how to get into uni, rather it was about the feasibility of simply showing up in some random state with no connection, no registration, no education and little money, and somehow not only surviving, but also enrolling in university.

Thoughts please.

Thorwald 1

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 05:47 pm
Anonomous's bro wrote:
The question is not so much how to get into uni, rather it was about the feasibility of simply showing up in some random state with no connection, no registration, no education and little money, and somehow not only surviving, but also enrolling in university.

I did exactly that. I showed up at a completely random state (that I had never been to before), zero connections, only a passport (no driver's license, etc.), no formal education, and exactly $1,000 (which I used up in the first month for rent, food, and basic necessities). I survived and got my Bachelor's degree (best thing I have ever done).

One, very important bit of information I wished I had _before_ I moved to the US to go to university is that state universities are _much_ cheaper if you are a resident of that state. To become a resident is rather easy: As soon as you move to that state, get your first two utility bills (electric, phone, cable, etc.) from your new address and go to the nearest DMV for a license or ID card (they require the utility bills). You become a "resident" the minute you get your license or ID card. However, the university will not consider you a resident until you have spent at least one year in the state (one year after getting your license or ID card).

Since most schools start the academic year sometime around the end of August to the end of September, you will want to time your arrival in that state to sometime around the end of summer. That way, you will have a year to become a resident, get settled, etc. You also want to get your HS diploma/GED as soon as possible. Get your scores and apply to the local college early in the year (January or February; some schools have a deadline in December or before) if you plan on starting in August or September of that year.

Anyway, it is certainly feasible. It won't be easy and you will have to rough it out for a while, but, believe me, it is worth it!

Anonymous

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 12:26 am
Thorwald wrote:
Anonomous's bro wrote:
The question is not so much how to get into uni, rather it was about the feasibility of simply showing up in some random state with no connection, no registration, no education and little money, and somehow not only surviving, but also enrolling in university.

I did exactly that. I showed up at a completely random state (that I had never been to before), zero connections, only a passport (no driver's license, etc.), no formal education, and exactly $1,000 (which I used up in the first month for rent, food, and basic necessities). I survived and got my Bachelor's degree (best thing I have ever done).

One, very important bit of information I wished I had _before_ I moved to the US to go to university is that state universities are _much_ cheaper if you are a resident of that state. To become a resident is rather easy: As soon as you move to that state, get your first two utility bills (electric, phone, cable, etc.) from your new address and go to the nearest DMV for a license or ID card (they require the utility bills). You become a "resident" the minute you get your license or ID card. However, the university will not consider you a resident until you have spent at least one year in the state (one year after getting your license or ID card).

Since most schools start the academic year sometime around the end of August to the end of September, you will want to time your arrival in that state to sometime around the end of summer. That way, you will have a year to become a resident, get settled, etc. You also want to get your HS diploma/GED as soon as possible. Get your scores and apply to the local college early in the year (January or February; some schools have a deadline in December or before) if you plan on starting in August or September of that year.

Anyway, it is certainly feasible. It won't be easy and you will have to rough it out for a while, but, believe me, it is worth it!

Anonymous

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2009 08:34 pm
Yo Thorwald! An answer to the above question would be much apriciated.

Holy shit, one of the cats is a crackhead!

Thorwald 1

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2009 08:32 pm
I guess we are different. I enjoy challenges (the harder the better). I just jump in with very little hesitation. Sounds like your are maybe over-thinking this decision. Just do it! You will thank yourself later.

As for which city or state to choose: That is up to you. I chose a state where it would rarely, if ever get above 25 C (~80F), because I absolutely hate hot weather. I had a few other things I wanted that state to have and then just went for it. Pretty much every decent-sized city in the US has a college either in it or very nearby. I would recommend a city a little cheaper than San Francisco, as that can be daunting at first. However, if you want to live there and like the city, go for it.

Another thing: If you choose a college town, it is usually easy to find a house with roommates who are all in university or college. That way you will have very cheap rent and all the house amenities (furniture, kitchenware, etc.) minus the bed and food. It has can be a great way to meet people and maybe even make friends.

Anonymous

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 04:40 am
Thorwald wrote:
I guess we are different. I enjoy challenges (the harder the better). I just jump in with very little hesitation. Sounds like your are maybe over-thinking this decision. Just do it! You will thank yourself later.

As for which city or state to choose: That is up to you. I chose a state where it would rarely, if ever get above 25 C (~80F), because I absolutely hate hot weather. I had a few other things I wanted that state to have and then just went for it. Pretty much every decent-sized city in the US has a college either in it or very nearby. I would recommend a city a little cheaper than San Francisco, as that can be daunting at first. However, if you want to live there and like the city, go for it.

Another thing: If you choose a college town, it is usually easy to find a house with roommates who are all in university or college. That way you will have very cheap rent and all the house amenities (furniture, kitchenware, etc.) minus the bed and food. It has can be a great way to meet people and maybe even make friends.

1. xFamily
  2. » General
  3. » college entry for exmember expats
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/08/2024 at 08:20:18