"Why I Am Not A Christian"

1. xFamily
  2. » General
  3. » "Why I Am Not A Christian"

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2007 07:02 pm
"Why I Am Not A Christian"
A good read: "Why I Am Not A Christian", by Bertrand Russell in 1927.

Many of the arguments Christian's still use today were shown to be fallacious by Mr. Russell over 80 years ago.

Some good quotes:
Quote:
The more intense has been the religion of any period and the more profound has been the dogmatic belief, the greater has been the cruelty and the worse has been the state of affairs.

Quote:
We want to stand upon our own feet and look fair and square at the world -- its good facts, its bad facts, its beauties, and its ugliness; see the world as it is and be not afraid of it. Conquer the world by intelligence and not merely by being slavishly subdued by the terror that comes from it. The whole conception of a god is a conception derived from the ancient oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men. When you hear people in church debasing themselves and saying that they are miserable sinners, and all the rest of it, it seems contemptible and not worthy of self-respecting human beings. We ought to stand up and look the world frankly in the face. We ought to make the best we can of the world, and if it is not so good as we wish, after all it will still be better than what these others have made of it in all these ages. A good world needs knowledge, kindliness, and courage; it does not need a regretful hankering after the past or a fettering of the free intelligence by the words uttered long ago by ignorant men. It needs a fearless outlook and a free intelligence. It needs hope for the future, not looking back all the time toward a past that is dead, which we trust will be far surpassed by the future that our intelligence can create.

m 2

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 02:52 am
I have that book, a good read to be sure.

Anonymous

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2007 08:03 am
a good start
http://irishoriginsofcivilization.com/irishoriginsexcerpts/irishorigins1.html#myth-mongers%20exposed

m 2

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 05:20 pm
Jesus Christ, what is it with you posting that link to that nonsensical page on every exer board?

slacker75

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 08:15 am
It seems to me that Betrrand Russell's arguments are quite non-compelling, not least because he speaks mere opinions in an intensely authoritarian voice. His arguments make unsupported assumptions almost sentence by sentence, and (to me at least) ring of being for the already converted (to atheism). He, along with Richard Dawkins, seems to be in a "fundamentalist atheist" camp that parallels the fundamentalist Christian camp.

For more erudite discussions on atheism, there are far less rhetorical and more reasoned voices. Thomas Hume is often cited as one of the most difficult philosophers for even the most intellectual Christians to cope with, for instance.

I am, by the way, an evangelical Christian (though not politically!!). Any faith worth having also has -- by necessity in my experience -- a hefty dose of doubt and/or uncertainty that goes along with it. That's my problem with many Christians, even some who target extremist groups such as the COG/Family. They, who are fundamentalists themselves, assault the COG without seeing similarities between their own authority structures and tidy explanations of a complex world and the COG's authority structures and tidy explanations.

Sigh... just one man's thoughts.

Jon Trott

Mark Scheiderer

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 03:44 pm
HYPOCRISY!
Trott-

Who are YOU to talk about authority structures when you are member of the JPUSA cult that has had MANY ex-members attend Wellspring - a cult recovery center - to get over the spiritual abuse they received at JPUSA?!?!

People have been leaving JPUSA for years, and have talked about the ungodly "authority structure" of the place.

Your presence here is an insult to those who have been wounded by the COG.

You are simply using this forum in an attempt to lend legitimacy to your own cult.

Mark Scheiderer

Anonymous

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 04:40 pm
Hmmmm Thor... At least you are honest about your anti-Christian basis, as are the rest of the exer's groups.

Pity, Exers groups don;t allow Christian doctrine and need to censor such inclination from EXers.

Mary Jane Henry

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 08:40 am
I'm a committed Christian, but I have to agree with some of the above criticism. I think that the "church" has often sadly gotten it wrong. First off the Catholic version for hundreds of years with its top down authority structure was very like the old pharisees - every poor Catholic country is a sucker for a despot. Then there was a breath of fresh air for a while around the time of the reformation , but gradually they began to blame God for everything that went wrong completely forgetting that "the thief cometh not but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly"!!! and as for the other statements about Christians snivelling about being miserable sinners and whining about everything, God gave mankind dominion over the earth and gave him authority to replenish the earth, subdue it and enjoy it! Blame the church but not Christianity!

1. xFamily
  2. » General
  3. » "Why I Am Not A Christian"
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.33 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 04:04:05