Travel nursing vs. permanent placement

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Travel nursing vs. permanent placement

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 01:25 pm
Travel nursing vs. permanent placement
I am a fairly new nurse working in Med/Tele for about a year and have 6 years of psych exp. as a casemanager. I really want to get out of Iowa and move somewhere warm and with more opportunity for both my husband and I. I am torn between travel or permenant placements. I have 2 children and three dogs, any good ideas or input Question

AG1KULRN

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 08:14 pm
TRAVEL OR REAL JOB?
Well, it all depends on how long you want to be somewhere, and if you like it, how long you want to stay.

If you're looking to move permanently but are not sure of a fit between you and a specific hospital, try travelling there. However, realize that travellers/agency nurses ("registry" as we're called down here in Arizona) are the first to be cancelled during any given staff if they can get a staff member to replace you. It's all about the money. If they like you, you won't have that problem, and they'll probably ask you to hire on if you tell them you're planning a move to their area. Also realize there are alot of politics to being a traveler. Most RNs will tell you otherwise -- but it's just not the case. The traveler/agency person is the 1st person to get blamed when something happens, whether it's mislabelled labs, patient complaints or something real. Staff get away with the same stuff an agency nurse will be summarily fired for.
If you travel somewhere, the agency will pick up your rent and utilities for the contract, but say something happens and your contract is cancelled (ie you get fired)? The agency will kick you out on the street in 48 hours without a by-your-leave. You'll be homeless. Had it happen. Drove 1700 miles from Michigan to Arizona last year. Worked one day of the contract and was cancelled because I refused to do my preceptors job the first night when she was SUPPOSED to be orienting me to the place. She wanted to sit on her butt and watch me do her work... and I refused. She went right to administration, told some lies about me and 6hours later I didn't have a job or a place to live. The agency went so far as to charge me for their housing for the 1 week I had lived there so I got a paycheck of $0.00 !!!
After that fun, I don't travel or do agency. I got a staff job. I see everyday how the agency staff get abused and then sent home 6hrs into the shift because the hospital can save $10/hour. During the winter when hosp admissions are slow, agency nurses have to be available 7d/wk to make sure they get their 40 hours. Yeah, staff pay is less - but I only have to work my 3 days, & I can't be fired for requiring someone to orient me to the hospital!
Sorry for the rant.... Hope this sheds some light.
Ang

jdicen

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 03:50 am
Re: Travel nursing vs. permanent placement
boxerlover wrote:
I am a fairly new nurse working in Med/Tele for about a year and have 6 years of psych exp. as a casemanager. I really want to get out of Iowa and move somewhere warm and with more opportunity for both my husband and I. I am torn between travel or permenant placements. I have 2 children and three dogs, any good ideas or input Question

Why try lreland? Ireland has mild winter and cool summer. It is integrated with EU, therefore its currency is stable. The Irish people are friendly and the unemployment rate is very low. If you think I can help you, please contact me. JDicen

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Travel nursing vs. permanent placement
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/16/2024 at 11:38:27