Husband AND wife?

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Husband AND wife?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 03:01 pm
Husband AND wife?
Ok here goes.... my wife (who is much younger) wants to be an RN. She already has a Masters of Arts Degree in Tourism/Recreation Management. Anyway, she is planning to go to community college to become an RN. I am a carpenter by trade. I am in my mid 40's and to be honest, I am sick of the physical part of the job. I am getting old for beating up my body. I am half-thinkin of a change. I would love to work in the medical field too... and I am almost tempted to join her in RN school..... I wonder if any other couples tackled this as a team or not. I wonder also.... how we'd survive. That might be the hardest part, as I could not quit my job. We need the big $$$$. She also wants to at least work part time.

Maybe she should go first and me later... I dunno. Maybe I should just let her do it and I will retire early on her big wages!? LOL

If I was able to find a night-school, would I be dreaming to think I could work full time days and then take nursing at night? Maybe so....

Also... is it true that most nurses (RN) start out at about $25 an hour? That is what they say the starting wage is around MN. I already make a lot more than that.. but if we both made that... we'd be fine.

We'd love to hear your thoughts.

dgrant50

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 02:05 pm
Go For It
Jon and Manique
I was a middle/high school band director and was always interest in the medical field. Then one day my wife and I decided I should go back to school and get my BSN RN. I started back at 48 and graduate from an acclerated BSN program when I was 50. I am 52 now and have been practicing for two years and love it. I think you have a good idea or having one go at a time. It's not an easy road but one of you needs to be free to support the other in hard times. Then when your wife gets through you go for it. You'll neither one regret it. By the way I'm will finish my masters in May of this year. You can teach an old dog new tricks!
David

DHRN

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 04:02 pm
At my hospital there is a husband and wife that are traveling nurses. They worked together and when their kids grew they now travel in an rv across the country. They are a fantastic couple and who better to understand at the end of a long day. And they are travelling together to states they always wanted to see. As far as school definitely do it together it would give you both a great support system.

ganurse

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 08:44 pm
Husband & Wife Team
Both my husband and I are RNs...but, we didn't start out that way. I worked for over 12 years with AFLAC (yes, the duck) and started going to school at night, one class at a time. It took me over 6 years to get my BSN and when I reached the last 18 months, I had to go full-time, during the day...that change was scary.

Once I finished, my husband, who was 43 at the time, decided he would go back and get a second degree...nursing.

I have been a nurse for 9 years now and he's been a nurse for 5...and we're traveling nurses too. I work L&D and he works NICU...we're "sold" as a team and travel to the same hospital and work the same shifts...depending on the assignment, we even work the same unit...it is the ULTIMATE in a relationship!!

Ten years ago, we could have never imagined this...it is fabulous! Yes, we ended up homeschooling our children so they could travel with us but they are all grown now and it's just us 2 and the dogs. We just pack up the SUV and we're off.

Please feel free to stay in touch...and, GOOD LUCK!!

RN4Life

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 08:45 am
Husbands and wives
I think this can work for you. I have 2 friends husband & wife who went into nursing first it was the wife who was a teacher and then the husband who was into Architecture followed suit and now both are RNs the wife just completed her BSN and the husband just started on his. They have kids and so work opposite shifts so that there is always someone with them. The wife works days and the husband nights.They synchronize their time off so they can be together. They recently moved to California after the wife was offered a job there and it wasn't difficult for the husband to get a job at a nearby hospital. So go for it.....it can be done.
I have been nursing forever and love it would not give it up for anything.

PreRN

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 01:40 pm
@ganurse,
Hi, I know it's been a few years since you first posted this. But I have a question. You said you homeschoold your kids while you guys traveled. How did you guys do that? Smile Thanks.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Husband AND wife?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 04:34:44