catheter change question

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » catheter change question

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 10:19 am
catheter change question
Hi,
I work in the home setting and so sterility is not as easy to maintain and clean is usually the goal. However I have some questions for those who are used to working in a home setting as opposed to the hospital setting.
In changing a foley catheter, do you think it is appripriate to use the sterile syringe provided in order to deflate the balloon in the existing catheter and also using it (contaminated) to fill the new catheter? OR Do you always use a clean but not sterile pair of scissors to cut the end off instead to let the balloon deflate?

Born2RunRN

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 12:21 pm
Personally, I wouldn't use the clean and sterile stringe found in the new catheter kit to deflate the balloon on the previously inserted foley. Also, I don't make a practice of cutting to deflate the water either. I know some nurses that do, but I have also seen issues caused by that with not all the water emptying and when attempting to pull that catheter out, the balloon was still partially inflated thus causing trauma when removing a partially filled balloon and it is not very pleasant for the patient as well.

Now, I work in a hospital setting so I have more access to supplies than you probably do, however even doing home care, it shouldn't be too difficult to get your hands on a 10 or 12 cc syringe in an individual package from somewhere in your supplies. As long as the package is just with a 10 or 12 cc syringe that is sealed, I would use that. Or if not sealed and you have a 10 or 12 cc syringe with a needle attached via luer lock that you know is clean and not been used, just unscrew the needle and use that. You could even do it with a 3 or 5 cc syringe as well, however you would have to empty those more than once to get the full amount of water out of the balloon.

Hope that helps.

Denise

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » catheter change question
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 06:09:57