excessive stomach secretions

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » excessive stomach secretions

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 07:20 pm
excessive stomach secretions
im baffled and would really like to understand the mechanics of this problem. a pt with recent abd surgery and removal of gallbladder, presented with nausea/vomiting. npo and ngt with cont suction. no bm in days, so why is there excess green gastric fluid. my experience with gastric secretions and N/V is that it generally dries up in 24-36 hours and pt feels better immediatlely after tube is placed. this pt's N/V continued. where is the fluid coming from? any ideas. Question

Born2RunRN

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 12:34 am
Seriously? I am wondering if you are a new nurse yourself and maybe so fresh out school that you just aren't recalling information you learned in A&P classes.

Anyway, the answer to your question is that all the excess "green fluid" is bile. Your body secretes an enormous amount of bile a day. I can't recall the exact amount but minimum of gallon(s). In a patient such as yours and based on the info you provided, your patient sounds like a possible bowel obstruction from adhesions due to the recent surgery, or the patient has an ileus also related to the surgery. Until the obstruction or the ileus is resolved, the bile will come out the NG or through vomiting as it is unable to pass into the intestines and metabolized. It has to get out somehow as it is unable to be absorbed in its normal manner while flowing through the intestines.

So, basically what I am saying is that this is a normal and expected in this situation. The NG doesn't "dry you up" with the suction, it just gets it out the stomach to prevent the enormous amount of bile produced daily from filling up the stomach until the underlying problem is corrected.

Hope that helps. I really am hoping you are a very new nurse that is still learning because this question just worried me a bit. I would feel differently if this was a subject that was kinda rare, but an NG and suction are common every day events in nursing.

Born2RunRN

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » excessive stomach secretions
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 09:57:38