Need Advice, please

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Need Advice, please

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

nlynn

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 09:19 am
Need Advice, please
I didn't know what I wanted to do when I was in college. I ended up graduating with a Bachelor of Science degree in Safety and Environmental Management (Occupational Safety and Health) and hate my job every day more and more. I graduated in 2005 and am now 23 years old so I understand that I still can go back to do what I really want to do, which I have thought after being out in the work world would be nursing. I worked at an assisted living facility recently and loved my work there-but I wanted more, I wanted to actually be the nurse, not just the assistant to the nurse. With my current job though I would not be able to take evening classes every single day and when it came time for clinicals I don't think financially I'd be able to quit my job. I also am hesitant because I'm afraid there might be some things in nursing that might make me queasy. When I was working as a nursing assistant there were a few things I saw that I didnt know if it would bother me or not, and I came to find out that it didnt at all. But I didnt see vomit or a lot of blood or open wounds really. I'm almost 100% sure if I saw a bone sticking out through someone's skin it might bother my stomach. So on that note, are there any professions out there for those of us that are interested in anatomy, biology, studying illnesses, diseases, symptoms, medications and wanting to HELP people in need and feel like we are making a difference every day we go to work, --all these qualities but in a form for those of us that are a little weak in the stomach with a few things? Basically for those of us that would love to be a nurse and nursing would be a perfect fit on all levels, but we just can't handle the sight of some things! Even though I wish I could, I'm just not sure I can. So what would be some jobs out there similar to nursing but for those with weaker stomachs? ANY help at all will be greatly appreciated. !!! Very Happy

ang99

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 02:33 am
Re:
If you really wanted to do nsg there are a lot of specialities. Such as home health, which you can decide if you want the case or not, maternity(blood is still involved but there are only so many scenerios as compared to ER), psych (mental), nsg homes, school nurse ( more prevention of different diseases and tracting medications the kids are on, scraped knees,etc),case management and other desk type jobs. Even in a doc office there is not going to be a whole lot of bones sticking out of flesh. It just depends how much you feel you can handle and deep down you know if you could handle wiping someone elses butt, cleaning wounds, handling vomit. My favorite which I encountered during nsg school when I worked in the ER as an Asisstant was a patient vomiting feces(poop). After a few minutes of that I was gagging, but I wasn't the only one. After that I realized that was the only thing that really bothered me.
If you know that you couldn't handle the tasks of a nurse there is always radiology techs( schooling about 2 yrs, basically taking pics of bodies and you can specialize in this too. Example ultrasound tech, look at babies all day long. With this you need to mentally be strong, things do go wrong in utero and you may see or yet find them. Crying or Very sad
Another is occupational therapy (OT) , physical therapy (PT),speech therapy. It really depends on how hands on you want to be. There are always desk jobs in the docs office/hospital like receptionist, medical transcriptist, foreign language translator, lab tech; and lots more. You may just have to do some add'l research and see if any of these meet your needs as far as job description, work hrs, college, pay, etc.

I hope this helps some and good luck. if you have any questions feel free to ask. Very Happy

nlynn

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 08:52 am
Thank you so much for all your suggestions. Some people have mentioned PT of OT to me before, and also some people have mentioned epidemiology, after speaking with me and hearing my interests and what I'd be looking for in a job. I guess I was just afraid that epi would not be hands on enough-do you know anything about that field?

Thanks again so much! Smile

brocky 1

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 07:15 am
I think being a physiotherapist (uk) would be a great job, I think it's called physical therapy in USA. I would love to leave nursing but Iam too old now (will retire soon ) and have kids going to unuversity etc so can't afford to retrain. If anyone asks me if they should train as nurses I always say "no" what about physiotherapy. I work in the british nhs in a general hospital and the physios are brilliant, well educated, hard working and really do help people. Good luck.

nlynn

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 10:53 pm
I've found an evening/weekend nursing program near me, finally! It's an ADN program. The classes are two days a week from 5-8 pm with 10 hour clinicals on Saturdays!! I was SO thrilled when I found out about this program! It makes me feel as if FINALLY my dream might come true, and that I might actually be able to look forward to going to work everday. To be able to make a difference in someone else's life every single day. It makes me want to almost cry with joy just because it seems there's finally light at the end of this tunnel I'm in with a job I hate! I have a question concerning ADN vs. BSN programs--are opportunities within hopsitals limited with ADN degrees? I understand if one wants to move into a managerial nursing position a BSN is needed, but at this point I just want to get INTO the nursing field. I already have a bachelor of science degree (in another field) and so at some point would like to pursue the BSN, but would like to just first get into the field. I would most likely look into a RN-BSN program when the time came. But as I said, I just want to m ake sure that there are jobs out there for those with ADN degrees rather than BSN degrees. I've checked local hospital job boards and some require BSNs, but most dont-just RN licensure, so I think I'd be safe with the ADN program.

Are there any suggestions as to reconfirming this is the right program and field for me? Aside from job shadowing a nurse are there really any other ways to determine this for sure? I KNOW I want to help people, and I know nursing would be a perfect fit for me as far as my personality, interests, desire to help people, but I am concerned that I will not be able to handle certain sights nurses see. Such as brains, organs, etc....does this just mean that I shouldnt work in an OR, but would still be okay and successful in nursing?? HELP! Thanks in advance!! Laughing

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Need Advice, please
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 01:10:44