help needed!!! understanding of the use of Luer locks...

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » help needed!!! understanding of the use of Luer locks...

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 10:24 am
help needed!!! understanding of the use of Luer locks...
Hi, i am a product design student at DeMontofrt university in leicester, and am currently researching into the way i.v. infusions and drug administrations work.i know nurses time is valuable, but no-one seems willing to help me on an issue that seems so relevant. I'm still confused as to how, why and where luer lock syringes are used, and why there is so many wrong route administrations in the nhs today. With my project i'm hoping to reduce this, but need to understand exactly where the problem arises?!...also i'm still unsure as to how the use of oral syringes are mixed up with i.v. syringes...is there something i'm blatently missing in my research?! it just seems that these syringes are adaptable to be used and connected to things they are not meant? again, i'm finding it hard to understand.

I know i haven't been that clear, but thats why i'm posting this to see if anybody can clear this up a bit. I will continue researching to try and find out though!

Thanks

Toby Fox (Ba Product Design, Demontfort University)

jacques pettit

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 08:27 pm
hello toby. I would find a lack of response puzzling too. In the practices I have been involved with, safety has always been the first priority r/t leur-lock devices. There is significant documentation regarding sharps injuries to both patient and professional while injecting/ withdrawing needled syringes into hubs of heparin locks or IV tubing. Connections that lock into themselves also provide the added benefit of safe/aseptic closure into venous/arterial lines where potential for introduction of bacteria systemically or loss of blood exist . Both justify prudence for patient and medico- nursing practitioners. The use of a locking mechanism does not preclude said mechanism being incorrectly applied with wrong medication or delivery device. It is incumbent for the practitioner to know correct use of all the tools of the trade prior to their use. Educators,mentors and fellow practioners are all beneficial ensuring correct practice is adhered to as well as guiding new practitioners to positive and safe practice. Common sense also goes far.

indiana nurse

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 01:48 am
a few things to consider; several lines, meds intended for intravenous use accidently injected into an epidural for example. 2. pharmacy- makes mistakes all the time! pharmacy puts the med in the wrong container. Idea Also, drug interactions within the line due to inadequate flushing with normal saline between drugs. Another issue; meds are mixed in the med room, not labeled then carried to bed side- easy to forget what drug is in which syringe with several being given at the same time. Then, some meds are harder to draw up without the needle to acess the container. Some meds are in glass ampules that are broken, then nursing has to use a filter needle to keep the glass out of the med that ends uo in the syringe. I hope this helps...

AG1KULRN

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 06:52 am
Luer lock syringes
By luer lock you mean needleless? Are those the blue and white ends that you twist the syringe onto them and they are connected to the line?
I HATE THOSE. THEY SUCK!!!!!!
Whenever I have a line with those on I just change the line and get rid of them. Needleless are pretty good because they decrease incidence of sticks, but you will ALWAYS need needles to get the meds out of the containers they come in. Those little "needleless" ends for syringes that have the blue arrow tip in them SUCK TOO. 1/2 the time they aren't sharp enough to puncture the rubber stopper and get the medication out! I for one ALWAYS use a needle, no matter if the ends are needleless or not.
Indiana is right about how meds are mixed in the med room and not labeled. As an ER nurse, I mix pretty much everything I give myself. Pharmacy doesn't work in the ER at my facility. The only things that EVER get a label are antibiotics that go into a piggyback. You make 4 syringes of stuff for a patient that's all clear? Only you can know what it is because you pulled it up - if a colleague gives you a syringe and says "can you give this to patient X for me?" you have no idea what's in it. Even if they tell you. Because there's no time to label, and no labels to put on them anyway even if there was time.
Angela

KarolMLPN

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 09:22 am
Luer lock syringes and connections are made to go into a multitude of connections: PICC lines, INT's and yes even Foley/GT/Peg tube balloons..... I never thought that there was a problem with oral syringes though..... I just can't see how (unless it was forced) how an oral syringe would be able to fit into a luer lock connection for IV use.... ( so this has actually happened!!!???) oral syringes are generally bigger at the end and probably would fit into say a PICC connector but not without some brutal force.....I remember when I took my IV class, my instructor made us try to fit one and we were all stumped at why she would want us to do it..... I guess to make us acutely aware that if it is hard to do, then we better check !!

TeleNurseboy

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 06:58 am
karol has right idea. you have to be forcing the syringe for an oral to work on a leur. other wise it is either rushed, tired, or stupidity on how its used.

mclainmeister

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 08:10 am
Luer lock
Luer lock is, yes, a needleless system. The syringes used for medication administration have a threaded tip that matches the IV port. A syringe for oral medications is not threaded, that's why someone would have to force it into the IV port. Medical staff need to be familiar with their equipment and its use. As for medication errors, we have the Physicians Orders and we have the RBVO (read back verbal order). When the order is read back to the ordering physician, it is being reviewed and confirmed. The pharmacy has a checking system that detects remote allergies and sensitivities, and red flags them. This gives the nurses the opportunity to clarify or change orders with the physician's permission.
Be alert.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » help needed!!! understanding of the use of Luer locks...
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 06:03:27