Doubts

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Doubts

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 08:04 am
Doubts
Hi Everyone,
I am a mother of two small boys in my 8th week of nursing school. Clinicals have me so nervous!! I have been thinking about quitting. Is it normal to have so many fears in this program?? Anyone out there who is sick at their stomach before clinical??

Thankx

momofthree

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 07:04 pm
don't worry you are stronger than you think
Don't give up I am currently in my 11th week of my 2nd semester and I am on L&D ward. I just finished med/surg and it was tough. I don't know about you but I am in my 30's and have went back to school after a long time I have 3 boys and was scared to death. My first semester I had a anxiety attack(not a major one) but enough of one to have people looking at me like I didn't have what it took, But I sucked it up and have made it this far and those same people that looked down at me some didn't make it to 2nd semester. You are going to find things you excel in and things you just get by in. That is okay.. I have to think that I could have never done this at 20 but now I am stronger, WISER, and smarter we are mothers for goodness sake we can do anything even this. At my school all you need is to keep a 2.0 average sometimes that is easier said then done but I think that was tough to get over that I wasn't going to get a A in everything. but i keep telling myself C=RN. It is hard to be a mom, wife, pay bills, and still be a student and don't forget your own private sanity. I just decided..dinner is bought on the way home, my husband has to do ALL kid school projects, my house is not spotless, and I still need a pedicure at least every 8 weeks. Don't kill yourself before you know it will be over and your kids will be proud of you, you will be making money to contribute to your household and feel damn good about yourself. I feel guilty too trying to juggle my kids and school but the other day my eldest son (11 yrs.) told me on his way outside to play "Thanks mom for going to college." I about cried. It will all be worth it in the end and just remember you are not alone..

mom of three

crobbins 1

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 08:51 am
Thanx for the encouragement
Smile Your absolutely right and thank you for the response. It makes me feel like I am not alone. I am passing in my lectures and keep telling myself one week at a time. C to continue well, in some circumstances that is what I am having to face. Good luck with your education and thank you for taking sometime away from your busy schedule to chat with me on your personal experiences. The kids have been tough at times and my husband is now starting to take charge of some things. As for the laundry that has been piling up. I guess some things will have to wait. Have a wonderful week and thank you so much.

ang99

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 07:31 am
First of all, God Bless you for taking on nsg school with two children. Next, is the part you get nervous about the instructor looking over your shoulder and at your every move, ok maybe not every move but most of them? Or the patient interaction?
As far as the looking over your shoulder it will pretty much always be there, so get use to it. Whether its a supervisor, client, family of your ct/pt, case manager, doctor, who ever it will never go away. It may not be constantly starring you in the face, but its there.

With the pt interaction, most of them understand that everyone has to learn. And as a nurse they have to have that one on one to really learn. Book smarts only goes so far in nsg, you need common sense and EXPERIENCE!!!! One thing that will help in this department is your communication skills. Letting your pt always know what your doing before you do it, even after you get out of nsg school. Let them be aware of what is about to happen to their body. Remember the saying do unto others as you would have done to you. Live by it. It will take you far in life and nsg, sometimes you get walked on but thats life. It is how GOD teaches us/how we learn. Also it really helps when you ask your patient before you leave the room if he/she needs anything else or if you can do anything for them before you go chart, to lunch, whatever. It lets them know you care.BIG, BIG, BIG when it comes to nsg.

Another thing is when it comes time to take your CNA and LPN through nsg school go ahead and take them. You can start working a little to help you out with your clinicals,earn a little extra money for bills or whatever and it helps you with the RN NCLEX( state boards) when you do graduate. I wish I had done the LPN when I was in school. I did have my CNA and worked once a week in the ER, loved it. And it really helped, not so much with the NCLEX but the clinicals------Oh, Yeah! 8)

Try not to get too discouraged. If you are looking to really drop out its all up to you. If you are already in clinicals you should know deep down whether nsg is really for you or not. You'll know it. One pastor said if you don't feel good about something, if there is doubt, Don't Do It. Therefore when you think about giving up if you don't feel at ease about quitting, THAN DON'T!!!!! If you feel more at ease, than maybe nsg not for you. Only you can answer that one.

Nsg school is stressful, but so is life. Hang in there. There are so many rewards with nsg and other medical jobs. Just helping others feels good, esp when they praise you for your work or you see it in a childs face. Better yet when you see it in your own childs face. SO WORTH IT!!!! Very Happy

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Doubts
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 01:42:13