Starting in the ER

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Starting in the ER

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 07:24 am
Starting in the ER
Hi, I am new to the nursing forum. I would like to ask anyone out there for advice on how to prepare to start working the in ER. I have a background in cardiac, neurology and rehab. I am very excited to have the opportunity to work in the ER. Just a little nervous about starting in a new area but that is why I got into nursing because of all the different areas to choose from. Thanks for any advice.

bowlerrn

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 11:43 am
starting in the ER
There are several things to know about starting in the ER. First you need to work as a team, find the best way to support others so they will support you when needed. Anticipate and rely on your instincts, sometimes the decision needs to be made right now. Don't get caught up focusing on the injury/illness itself look at the whole person because the more serious injury/illness may be hiding. Don't take shortcuts with your assessment, do it all, it will save you in the end. Relax and learn all you can from your preceptor/mentor during orientation. All ER's have a personality and you need to find a way to fit into yours. Good luck

hal248

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 01:03 pm
Look, listen and learn from the senior staff. Remember god gave you 2 ears and 1 mouth so listen twice as much, this is to your patient and your co-workers. Remember to us your resourses to help you solve problems and answer questions you have. The only stupid question is the one you did not ask and got you in trouble.
If there is something that you think should be done for a patient and it is not being done and you can not get the physcian incharge of the patient to do it talk to a senior nurse. If they agree with you they often can get the physcian to see the error in there ways. If that dose not work (it might sound sexes, but it's true) have one of the male nurses talk to the physcian. The results will scare you.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Starting in the ER
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 03:22:57