Cleveland nurses

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Cleveland nurses

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 11:19 am
Cleveland nurses
Does anyone live or work in Cleveland, Ohio? I am considering moving there and wondered what the nursing scene (conditions, salary, openings, internal culture) is like? I am an ICU nurse of many years and make a fairly good salary ($33/hr, I just got a raise and did the "ladder") in Tampa. Can one get that there. I know there is state and possibly city taxes as well (none in FL, but the property taxes/home owner's insurance for newcomers is a draw back!) Do they pay for a BSN/BA (I have the latter) or for CCRN in the area? Any sign on bonuses? Your help is really needed; this is a huge move for me! Thanks.

ddawn

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 08:59 am
welcome to cleveland!
I work in the cleve area as an RN in a neuro unit at a small community hospital that is part of The Cleve Clinic.

Can't answer all of your questions, but nursing in general in the cleve area; most of the hospitals are either part of the Clinic or University Hospitals. The two have their main (monster) hospitals and most of the smaller hosp in the area are part of one or the other. There are of course the exceptions. A big hospital that stands on it's own is Metro hosp. It's a large 'inner city', level 1 trauma hosp.

If you're use to big, teaching, research hosp, then look at the main campus or metro.

Another thing about cleve----it is VERY east side vs west side and each has their own personality. So when you're looking for somewhere to live and work, make sure you look both east and west and see which fits you better.

Salary, bonus and such----I'm not much help there. I've worked at the same hosp for the past 8 years. I have a diploma RN and have not had time for more education (raising a family). At this point I make around $25/hr. I love the hosp I work at, only 400 beds, community hosp that has a neuro unit that is becomming more and more connected with the main campus. So it gives me room to grow as a nurse.

Cleveland.com has job postings and will give you a starting point for hospitals in the area and basic info.

Hope this little info helps you some.........and again, Welcome to Cleveland! Very Happy

Dawn

stellar 1

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 01:19 pm
Dawn, Thanks so much. I am disappointed at the salary though. I make $33/hr here in the "South" (Tampa, FL) which is infamous for its low salaries? No state tax either. I have only been at this hospital 3 1/2 years, so it is not seniority. Anyway, liking your job is tantamount. I don't meet many nurses who say they love their job, so you are very fortunate and it says a lot for the Cleveland Clinic! It has a reputation for excellence which I am attracted to. I believe it is a magnet hospital as well. I have heard a bit about the West Side-East Side rift. It is found in many places. I just checked out Durham-Raleigh and you would think it was on opposite sides of the earth, not 20 minutes away. I lived in Rochester, NY and I am assuming the weather is much the same in Cleveland. I think it is the only real down side, after living in the sunshine state especially. All around it sounds like a nice city. I planned to call later this week to the hospitals. Do you know if they use travelers. My thought was to go as a traveler while I sell my house here? Thanks again.

ddawn

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 05:31 pm
the main campus is magnet. my hospital, lakewood, is working on magnet status. it's nice to see nurses getting more 'power' where they work. it will be interesting to see if it makes a big or small difference.

money, not sure the cost of living in OH vs FL. maybe that will make a big difference. most houses in lakewood, 3 bedroom and 1.5 bath sell for around 120,00-150,00. of course there's higher and lower. we're just a few minutes from downtown and on the border of west cleveland.

the weather, yes, we do get snow. but does FL have the leaves change color in the fall?

some places do use travelers. we did for awhile. all our staff had babies at the same time. (Don't drink the water!!! LOL!!) and you're right, I am lucky to love my job. but I've talked to main campus, Clinic nurses, and they do NOT love their jobs. they like their jobs, but not love. Can I talk you into neuro? LOL!!

I'm out of town for the next few days. I'll check on monday to see if you have any questions!

Good luck in your searches!!

stellar 1

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 07:34 pm
Thanks again. I long to see the leaves change!! A warm house and a fire in winter is wonderful. Houses here in Tampa are on average 250,000, though we are being hit very badly with the housing market and selling my house may take a while. Because of that I am considering doing a travel assignment. I do neuro post op now in my med/surg ICU but I never considered it as a full time position. Something to think about though. Thanks

ddawn

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 08:58 pm
I forgot a little bit of info. The Clinic and all it's hospitals are no longer hiring smokers after sept 1st. Don't think it will effect the travellers.

Not sure if you smoke or not. But if you do.........they will be testing your urine for all the normal illegal stuff AND for nicotine.

And whatever the Clinic does, University does soon after.

We also have no junk food in the vending machines. But the gift shop has my chocolate fix!!!!! It's all pretzels, baked chips, nuts and such.

And Toby (CEO) is trying to kick out McD's from the main campus.

I get what he's doing, practice what you preach. But it also feels like Big Brother........

stellar 1

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 06:35 am
WOW!! I can't wait to go back to work tonight and tell my colleagues. There are a number of smokers who constantly have to leave on break to smoke outside at night. It drives me nuts, and the smell. I work in a cancer center to boot which is a smoke free campus. However, people ignor it. It is so sad to see our patients outside on the benches in our beautifully landscaped grounds, sunshine everywhere, IV pumps in tow, heads covered from the chemo alopecia, and there they are smoking a butt...I see your point though; it is very controlling with the vending machines and Mc'd's and all. It is an interesting trend! I did speak to a recruiter Friday, and I can shadow for a shift when I come to see the city. So far I am very impressed! If there is a recruitement bonus and I do come, I am happy to use your name. My email is [email protected] Keep in touch Smile

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Cleveland nurses
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 02:52:07