Transitioning from student to nurse?

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Transitioning from student to nurse?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

rlwess

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 08:20 pm
Transitioning from student to nurse?
I'm going to start working in a few weeks and just wondered if there's anyone who has helpful hints for transitioning from a student role to a nursing role? Is it a big change? What can I do to prepare for the differences?

gramscifi

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 09:19 am
Starting Out!
I'll tell you what I was told when I graduated in 1971. Find an LPN that has been working the floors for a long time and follow her like a puppy. Never forget that you are trained to observe the patient and that training is what helps the doctors monitor their patients progress. Do not depend on someone else's observations, if you have a question check it out yourself. ALWAYS check your medications 5 times and more if you have to. A medication error is something that you NEVER forget and I made one after asking 3 count them three RN's that had been working for years, yet I still didn't listen to my patient. Most patients know what they are taking and what the dosage is start there. If your patient questions your medication dosage or medication then go check it out YOURSELF. My error did no harm to anyone but me, I still cring when I think about it.

km 1

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 09:01 am
I graduated not too long ago so I remember what it's like being a new nurse. Just be patient. It's always tough starting out. I know it was for me...not knowing what I was doing, trying to get along with all of my coworkers and getting used to the long hours...

I just switched from working perm to traveling with Access Nurses. It's weird because even though I've been a nurse for a couple years, it's like I'm brand new again as a traveler. It's a learn-as-you-go process. Listen to gramscifi and follow an experience LPN around. I'm going to do the same thing until I get the hang of it.

Good luck!

joeRN

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 09:21 am
You've already received some great advice! These nurses know what they're talking about. I've been a nurse for years and all I can tell you is to never get off your game. Always keep up on your studies so you are prepared. Also, ask questions. You are still learning constantly and there are going to be other nurses around to teach you.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Transitioning from student to nurse?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 08:00:54