Question concerning staffing

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Question concerning staffing

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 06:28 pm
Question concerning staffing
I am wondering what your hospital does as far as pulling staff from one floor to staff another. I work in intensive care and our staffing ratio is 2:1 for patient care. The other night the director made us work with a staffing ratio of 3:1 to cover the COU. It was unsafe as our patient acuity is very high with alot of new nurses. Has anyone got any ideas or ways that could prevent this from happening again? Has this happened at your hospital and what did you do?

Ginger Snap

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 07:37 pm
If you want to prevent this from happening again, then you need to think of an alternative when the hospital is short-staffed. Does your unit have a call system? That can be unpopular, but it does give you someone to call in if staffing is an issue. Have you invited people to cross-train to your unit? Have you offered to cross-train to their unit? Has your unit considered being a closed unit? Can you think of ways to re-organize assignments so that a less-qualified nurse could cope with it?

Just my $.02, but working short is a part of nursing. Sometimes, even with the best of plans, it can't be prevented, and you have to live with it. That's what makes the job so hard.

mallymoomoo

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 09:34 pm
Our problem is that we are the only unit that is halfway staffed in the hospital. We worked a long time to get that way and to train our staff. The floor's managers are rotten and treat their staff poorly. My managerstaffs when needed and all of the others just leave it short. Today because we were short staffed my manger took patients and missed her daughter's birthday party. We are in a crunch and our administration doesn't care. I am all for refusing to take the third patient in ICU as it's unsafe. But, I want to know if I can actually do that and not get fired. By the way I am also a supervisor in the unit. I don't think that my staff should have to do this.

Ginger Snap

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 10:49 pm
Quote:
I am all for refusing to take the third patient in ICU as it's unsafe.

I don't know the way things work in your hospital, but if you refuse this patient, where else in the hospital will the patient go? Another ICU? Will the patient be held in the ER? And if so, will this cause problems for them (where I live, this might mean that incoming patients will have to be diverted from one hospital's ER to another). Does that mean that an unstable, high acuity patient will be kept on the floor, where the staffing may be 6, 7 or 8 to one?

Bottom line is that you can refuse the patient as long as your manager is willing to stand her ground and support your decision. It's an issue you need to discuss with her.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Question concerning staffing
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 09:35:51