Desperately need advice, can somebody please help?

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Desperately need advice, can somebody please help?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 07:04 am
Desperately need advice, can somebody please help?
I was recently accepted into a surgical nursing program which means the world to me. They only choose ten a year at my school and I've been working really hard for the last 2 years towards achieving this goal. Anyway, I'm a little confused about the criminal background check which I currently need for my clinicals. I don't have any felonies or drug charges, but I do have a misdemeanor. Next to conviction it states no, dismissed by D.A. Does anyone know if this is going to be a problem? It was a domestic violence charge, simple assault, resolved through mediation since the other party was charged as well. After trying to search through this on google, I'm even more confused than I was. Any comments would be greatly appreciated as I'm sure most of you are working in a hospital now anyway. Thankyou.

icu4me

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 12:16 am
I'm not positive, but I don't think that will be a problem. That's a great specialty and I wish you well. Smile

catherine8454

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 03:05 pm
Thank you so much for replying, I was beginning to think nobody could answer my question. Since posting it, I called the board of nursing and learned that since it was dismissed it can't be considered a conviction which makes sense, I just needed some reassurance. I'm very excited about this program. Thanks again and the best to you as well. Smile

icu4me

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 10:56 am
Hi Catherine... that's good news, for sure! Go for it! Very Happy

Born2RunRN

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 11:11 pm
Hi Catherine!.

I haven't been to this site in a few weeks so I just now saw your posting. I have been in your spot many times before, so I just want to warn you of what could POSSIBLY happen even though over the phone, the Board of Nursing said it would be no big deal.

When I say "many times before", i don't mean i have had many instances, just that the same one kept coming up....first for my LPN boards, then for my RN boards, and since I am a traveler, it also comes up EVERY time I go for licensure in a new state. Its a pain in the neck, but it is easily remedied.

I had a misdemeanor WITHOUT conviction about 3 weeks before my 18th birthday, but since the actual court date was AFTER my 18th birthday, somehow this has stayed on my "adult" record and not on the juvenile file as it should have been. Regardless, it remains there to aggravate me any time I want licensure in a new state. There is no problem once you get the license..i.e.; renewals are no problem...just the initial license.

As I said, mine also was not a conviction, and I also was told that if it wasn't a conviction, then not to worry about it....so, I didn't, and after my application was turned in, I received a letter from the state Board stating that my application could not be processed until the arrest and disposition of the charge were further explained. Even without a conviction, it WILL show up as an arrest on the criminal background check, and they want it fully explained and proof shown of what was the outcome of that arrest, for example were you fined anything? Did you pay the fine? Did you have ANYTHING that you had to do for it to be dropped, etc.

So, if this happens to you, which I hope it doesn't but fear it will since I haven't been licensed in a state yet (licensed in 10 states currently) that hasn't required this....this is what you need to do....its not hard, or even overly time consuming, just a pain in the neck!! LOL!

1. The Board will want a CERTIFIED COPY (the kind with the raised seal) of the court records. These records include a copy of the arrest report which that doesn't have to be certified, you can get that at the police station. The CERTIFIED COPY is of the DISPOSITION of the case. That MUST be certified. In your case, that paper should say something like
MISDEMEANOR DISPOSITION....all charges dropped, no plea or adjudication entered.

2. Some state boards also want a handwritten (or typed) statement from yourself explaining what happened on that particular day...i.e.; your version of the events, and a statement saying something to the effect of, "yes, I did wrong and I am aware of this, I have learned from my mistakes, etc, etc"

I know it seems like a pain in the butt, but if you write that stuff now and get in touch with the courts now ahead of time to get the copies, you can have them on hand when you need them. Oh, and if you write a handwritten letter, don't sign it before you make copies because some states want that statement certified as well. I don't know why, but I had to do that 2 or 3 times.

Basically, I have copies of my statement and several certified copies of the court documents in a file so they are ready for the next time I am looking at licensure in a new state.

Hopefully, you won't have to go through this, but like i said, I have had to EVERY state I tried for licensure so far. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but at least you will be prepared ahead of time in case you need it.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to email me privately at [email protected]

Hope this helps! If anyone else has had this situation and HASN"T had to do these things, let me know as I am curious, however I don't think i am unique as I know several people that have had to do the same thing. It seems like the state boards treat arrests and convictions the same way..they want to see exactly how the case was disposed and want you to have to explain yourself!! LOL!!

Have a Great Day!!

Denise

Born2RunRN

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 11:19 pm
Hey Catherine!

One last thing....sorry my first posting was so long, I didn't mean for it to be! LOL!

Anyway, I did want to clarify one thing though. Even though they are doing the criminal background check now for the program, that shouldn't affect your getting in the program or anything like that...the programs themselves don't usually put a HUGE amount of weight on something like that....MY response was based on what you are going to have to do BEFORE being allowed to take state boards....not before the program.

I just wanted to clarify that. The court records and such will be necessary prior to your state allowing you to get licensed in your state. So, basically, you have plenty of time to get those things done as they won't be necessary until after the program is completed and you are wanting your license.

Sorry if I confused you at all. I didn't read the question thoroughly until I went back after I posted my last reply. Email me if I confused you! LOL!!

Have a great day!

Denise

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Desperately need advice, can somebody please help?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 08:55:50