1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » The worst thing about care plans

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

tremdon

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 12:35 pm
The worst thing about care plans
Hi

I'm Trev - a psychiatric nurse from the UK and I have a question.

My colleague Lyn and I wanted to discover why care plans are so boring and so underused in many settings.

We're developing a new approach - a whole new system in fact - and we've been told already that it could form part of nurse managers' training here in the UK - so we know we're onto something. Everyone we've given it to try finds it simple to use, and easy to follow.

What we'd really appreciate knowing is what's the worst thing you find about care planning? For example, is it writing them, (even if it's on computer), understanding them, not understanding them ... I mean if you find them a pain in the gluteus maximus in any way ...!

What would be really helpful in a new system?

Any thoughts, (keep 'em clean - we're sensitive, we Brits, you know!), gratefully taken into account.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Trev.

hanson

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 05:41 am
Hi Trev

I'm a student nurse at the end of my second year, I was very interested in your post, what I have noticed is that care plans are decided by the nurse/doctor and not with the input of the patient, this leads I feel to it becoming a paper pushing exercise. We are being trained that we need to treat patients holistically and give them back the independence they loose when they enter hospital, which is not done in practice. Plus not everywhere uses care plans so we can go from one clinical area to another and it's a whole new type of paperwork and patients' don't get to see them.
Don't get me wrong, we do need this documentation as it is so so important to record everything that happens, but if it could be the same for all clinical areas and easy to use that would be a great help!!!!
Good luck with your project I hope it gets agreement for use from PCT's for you!!!

DaRkAnGeL 1

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 11:43 pm
Re: The worst thing about care plans
tremdon wrote:
Hi Trev,
Im a student nurse , i have finished my second year . Ur question really interseted from me , i want to know the answer of this question ALSO .
As a student nurse im obliged to do such documentation otherwise i will fail the exam , i know that such documentation is important but the problem wtih me iN such documentation dont have a specific protocol for them , in another word u have to imagine to write and everyone have it's own way . So i think the one that put this idea should also give as idea to write it . Another thing im so disappiontted because such documentation are like punishment , we write them just to complete some document and no one do wat is written we write them just cuz it is hospital policy . THIS IS MY OPOION THINK FOR THIS INTERSET TOP .
Very Happy

indiana nurse

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 02:31 am
Care plans are for the birds, i barely have enough time to impliment the doctor's orders!

AG1KULRN

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 06:35 am
care plans
Care Plans.... LOL.... What a joke.
Those are for school and JCAHO paperwork. They're never used in real life. Or real jobs. Only for student papers, critical thinking, and medical billing paperwork!
Angela RN

oh my gosh

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 12:21 pm
care plans
I agree. Why are they required in the chart if they'er not used.

What are the ways your finding to use them in the UK? Is it helpful? What do you think?

Jude 1

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 08:30 am
Care Plans HAH!
Does anyone every really work off them? You open the chart, sign your name and move on to the next one. I feel that any good nurse is working off the care plan in their head more then anything, you know what the patient needs, you critically think, you take action and assess the outcome. Thats why we are there! Not to prove it one paper, the patient is the real proof, the care plan is an inconvenient waste of time! Mad

Albert4

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2008 12:46 pm
> the care plan is an inconvenient waste of time!

It is; but it shouldn't be.
The "care plan in your head" is a great one; but the care plan that OT and PT, the doc(s), the social worker, the patient's family and the patient contribute to should be a bit more comprehensive than the one in your head, no?

AngelWINGS 1

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 07:38 am
I find that you repeat yourself alot in the care plans. If you make an entry in chronological account of care for all changes instead of repeating it in other forms such as relative communication it;s easier. people can read back a few entries for all changes instead of having to read the whole care plan whcih people don't have time for.

mamagrace

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 06:15 am
Copycat
I have to say that the biggest prob with care plans ( from my experience at a number of facilities), is that people get lazy and copy from the shift before. Maybe random questions @ random times of day is the answer???

chalkie

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 07:40 pm
when i worked in the UK for a a couple of different mental health trusts, i have to say, we involved the patient in the care planning and we did work off the care plans and evaluate regularly. I also agree with a previous posting that we as nurses, are constantly working off our own care plans in our heads as we need to continually think critically and risk take . I guess it depends who you work for and maybe which nursing genre, i now am working im medical and surgical and the care plans are made by doctors not nurses, they are just doctors orders really but we do work from them and each shift has to check them . Task orientated rather than patient oreintated i am afraid.

Good luck with your project.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » The worst thing about care plans
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 06:30:28