help needed...lol of course!!

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » help needed...lol of course!!

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2007 06:28 pm
help needed...lol of course!!
Rolling Eyes Well my fellow nurses I have been told this is `the` place to go to ask for help so I am going to jump right in and ask away...and as I do I will try to remember that there is no such thing as a stupid question Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy !!!

1) One of the side effects of diuretics abd antiihypertensives in the elderly is orthostatic hypotension. What nursing consideration is important to accomodate this?

2) What groupof medications interfers with the absorption of oral medications such as digoxin and iron compounds? When should they be administered?

Next group of questions is CONVERSIONS which I am having trouble with.

1) Calculate the number of tablets or capsules administered for each dose and for the 24 hour period.

Prednisone 40 mg p.o. once a day. The medication is in 5 mg tablets

2) Callculate the amount of liquid administered for each dose and for the 24 hour period

3) Do the following conversions:
Now fellow nurses when I read this I just didn`t understand it ...made not one bit of sense to me...maybe I have been too much studying and things just aren`t sinking in..dunno but this is exactly how the question was presented to me so I will type it as it was given.

If you can come up with the answer would you kindly explain to me how you figured it out. Once something is explained to me I can ususally `get it`
Here is the question:
CONVERT
7mg/tablet=_________________mg/0.5 tablet
48/tab=12mg/_______________ tab

Thank you so much for reading and replying to my first post. I hope the questions aren`y too difficult. I`m sure somebody out there has the answers
Rolling Eyes Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Born2RunRN

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 09:42 am
I will do the math ones for you.

Prednisone 40mg a day. If you have to give 40mg and the tablets come only in 5mg strength, then you need to give 8 tablets. You "get there" by dividing 40 by 5.

The conversion ones are as follows:

7mg/tablet = 3.5mg/0.5 tablet Basically its just saying if 1 tablet is equal to 7mg, then how many mg are in a half of a tablet, or 7 divided by 2.
The next one the same way

48/tab=12mg/4 tab

Did this help at all?

Also, a few ideas for your nursing consideration question regarding diuretics and orthostatic hypertension...think safety issues like elderly patient can fall if they have orthostatic hypotension because bllod pressure drops, not to rise suddenly from a laying position..., i.e., sit up first, dangle feet off side, sit on side of bed 1 minutes before rising, things like that.

If this didn't help, maybe ask it again differently or let me know where I lost you at....or maybe another nurse can put it into different terms.

Good Luck with school!
Denise

teapot 1

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 03:40 pm
Thanks so much for your reply and I did understand it!!!

Born2RunRN

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 06:07 am
No problem...sorry I didn't do much on the other ones..I hated those nursing rationale questions then and still do LOL! Don't get me wrong, I know what the considerations and rationale are for those that you asked about, but putting it into the terms and stuff that the nursing schools want isn't my strong area. I attempted an answer about the orthostatic hypotension based on practical experience but it probably wasn't phrased correctly or stated as the school would like you to answer but you get the general idea.
Again, good luck in nursing school and keep on studying!!! :-)

:-)

Denise

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » help needed...lol of course!!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 03:00:05