Benefits of BSN?

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Benefits of BSN?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 05:21 pm
Benefits of BSN?
Right now I'm about seven weeks away from graduating with my ADN. I'm a little burnt out with school at this time, but I'm debating on continuing on and getting my Bachelor's. What are some of the benefits of doing this? I need some encouragement!! Smile

Born2RunRN

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 09:24 am
HI! Sorry, I'm probably not the one you want to hear from if you are wanting to go get your BSN....but, here is my input on the question. The answer to the question needs to be based on what your goals in nursing are. For example, do you have plans on getting into management, teaching, research, or into the business aspect of nursing? If the answer to any of those are yes, then by all means go back and get your BSN.
On the other hand though, if you think you would plan on staying in the clinical setting doing bedside nursing working on the floors, intensive care units, emergency rooms, OR, PACU, etc in either a hospital, clinic, long term care facility, home health, doctors office, etc...then you will be fine with just your ADN, or diploma. In this day and age, there really isn't any significant monetary value in getting your BSN. Back in the day there was a difference but with the current nursing shortage that continues to get shorter and shorter, pay is equal. They want to fill the spots with a warm body and there just isn't that distinction in salary anymore. I am a traveler and have been for years and I know I make more than even those in management and such make.
You do have to do what makes you happy though. I know a lot of nurses that have their BSN's not for hopes of making more money, but because a Bachelor's degree is just a personal goal that they set for themselves. I just wanted to chime in and say this because I have heard some new grads comment on the fact that they DID get their BSN TO be able to make higher salary and they were very upset and disillusioned when that was not the case.
This was just food for thought and I don't know if it helped or not but I thought I would just offer that. One other thing to think about especially if you are burnt out of school right now, is to just take a bit of time in between. Graduate and start working as an RN for a bit. There are lots of programs out there that you can "bridge" into. I know there are 2 programs here in St. Louis that offer an "ACCELERATED BRIDGE" program which basically means you can go from ADN to BSN in a 9 month crash course to get your BSN. I am sure that is a lot faster than what you would have to do if you just went straight to your BSN in your current program.
I hope this was maybe at least a little helpful. If you have any other questions for me, you can reach me at [email protected]

Have a great day!
Denise

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Benefits of BSN?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 03:06:17