Nurse's bladder

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Nurse's bladder

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 09:36 pm
Nurse's bladder
I work 12 hour shifts on a busy surgical floor. When I get busy, I forget about my bladder...I have what is termed a nurse's bladder. Is it unhealthy to not urinate for 12 hours? I know minimal output for urine is 30cc/hour, but I don't want to damage my kidneys to give better care to my patients.

tattooednursie

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 09:53 pm
Its not healthy . . . I've had to hold it longer than 12 hours before . . . that was my record, and I suffer greatly now . . . It overstretched causeing muscle weekness . . so when I have to go . . . screw the rest of the world . . . lol

mayfla32

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 03:48 pm
Bladder problems
I too have found it to be unhealthy...your bladder stretches to a point where the muscles holding the bladder cannot take the pressure anymore...then you have problems with incontinence Sad So when you have the chance, go to the bathroom!!

strco0122

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 03:53 pm
dehydration
I think I don't realize I haven't gone to the bathroom until the end of the 12 hour shift because I don't drink a whole lot during the day. I am so busy caring for my patients that I forget to take a drink every once in a while. I just need to be more conscious of my own body before I can take care of others.

mayfla32

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 03:58 pm
hydrate
Yes, it does get busy sometimes..but if you don't take care of yourself and become sick yourself...then how are you going to take care of you patients? Hydration also helps you think better. I always carry around a bottle of water with me, that way I can access it easily.

strco0122

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 04:01 pm
water
Very true, I couldn't take care of my patients very well if I was sick! The water bottle idea is a good one, I could put it in one of the cabinets on the floor close to where I'm working and perhaps that will give me more initiative to drink it.

greta 1

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 03:43 pm
I too need to be careful. After seeing what dialysis pts go through I have really tried to care for my kidneys better including trying not to take nsaids for my aching back and feet. Thanks for reminding us all to pee! :wink:

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Nurse's bladder
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 10:12:32