Experience

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Experience

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2007 12:53 pm
Experience
I am still a student but am looking into the surgical field. I am already hired to work on a surgical floor, but really want to be in the surgical room as a ciruclating nurse. How much experience do I need? I know its hospital preference, but what suggestion can you all give me?

SandyRN

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 11:24 pm
Operating room nurse
In order to be a successful operating room nurse a person needs a minimum of 1 year experience. there is so much to learn before specializing in a certain area

michelleshafer

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 01:11 pm
OR entry
Dear Student,
If you really want to get to the OR, you'll have to be assertive. Start out by making an appointment with the Nurse Managers of the OR in the hospitals of your choice. Call the Nursing Administrative office at the hospital and tell them you want some mentoring. Get a meeting with an OR Manager. Share your career plans with them, ask them to show you around. Ask them about themselves and show an interest. Ask how they got to the OR and what they like about it, get the skinny from a professional, and if it still sounds like what you want, offer your services in any capacity that they may require, i.e. nursing assistant to the Recovery room, transporter, etc - anything to get your foot in the door. Remember, off-shifts are the hardest to fill, so offer that, too. .... then, go to HR and apply.
Best of luck. - Michelle

Rebecca 23

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 09:12 pm
I would tell anybody to spend a year on a floor and then you could work anywhere. I wanted to go straight to the critical care units after school but there were no openings. I've been working on a cardiac floor for over a year now and I honestly can say that I can handle any work load now.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Experience
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 01:18:20