No one is calling :(

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » No one is calling :(

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2007 09:46 am
No one is calling Sad
In November and December 2006 I was casually looking for a position as a new nurse grad in a few area hospitals thinking i would get a job easily. After receiving one call and one job offer that was only part time i realized i better work at this a lot harder. Since January of 2007 i have been applying (mostly on-line) for several positions of which most prefer or require at least one year of experience. I'm a new grad!! the only experience i have is from clinical when in school Sad Is there something more i should be doing? is there anything else i can do to secure a full time postion sooner rather then later. The positions i am applying for are full time days or evenings with 8 hour or 12 hour shifts. I dont think i could handle a night shift so therefore i have not applied for any. I have also called all of the hospitals to get the nurse recruiters name and then i left messages for them requesting an interview. No one has called back. The online search they provide makes it very clear: "don't call us... we will call you" My school had no recruiting office so that idea was out. What am i doing wrong or what more can i do? Please help Confused

javajess

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 12:07 am
If you are in worcester, look out west, springfield area. I am quite sure baystate or Mercy are hiring new grads.... also, your timing may be off... traditionally hospitals don't do alot of hiring in the winter, after christmas.

Another thing.... I have experience with central MA hospitals... many have a real problem with HR and nurse recruiters being dead end contacts... rare to reach a real person! I have gone through the back door a few times, contacting the nurse managers of the units, and working out a job first.... then they go to HR and set me up with the official paper work. You could go back to your school and ask some of your teachers to give you the names of some nurse managers at local hospitals, and call them... Don't rely on the the BLACK HOLE that is the online application process.... you may get a call back in two years.... after you've finished truck driving school! Go camp out on the the nurse recruiter's doorstep. Find out where their office is.... call and leave messages every couple of days! They will NEVER get back to you, unless you haunt them!

P.S. Apply for med/surg floor positions, not specialty areas, and you may need to start on night shift Crying or Very sad

Shantifire

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 05:48 am
Thank you Javajess!! Yes I feel like it is an all encompassing black hole and I am sinking deep into it. I am so discouraged but will try to get some nurse manager names and go in the back door You have given me some new hope Smile wish me luck. By the way when do they hire if not in the winter?

Rebecca 23

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 09:32 pm
Hey. I agree with javajess. Alot of new grads have to work nights for a little while. I would go up to the floors and ask for the nurse managers if the recruitment is that bad. I was lucky because I went through a recidency program for nurses. You should come work in Savannah. My somebody would snatch you in a heartbeat! I had three departments fighting over me when I was trying to decide where to work.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » No one is calling :(
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 04:55:58