Going back for my R.N.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Going back for my R.N.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2007 12:09 am
Going back for my R.N.
:DWell, I've decided to get my R.N. after graduating almost 4 years ago from a L.P.N. program. I'm going through The College Network which allows me to study at my own pace at home. I've bought all the study manuals and as I complete each one I then call and register to take a Dantes or Excelsior test and waaa...laaaa! Instant college credit! Right now it's just all the pre-reqs I need in order to take the actual nursing modules from Indiana State University. Anyone else out there doing it this way? It's one of the very few that will transfer Illinois credit for a nursing program. I'm excited, and at the same time hoping and crossing my fingers that I get this hospice job at night I so despartely need. I figure that while my patients are sleeping comfortably and inbetween my assessments and pain control I can study for the most part. I have a family and it's very difficult to study at home or find enough time for myself at home to sneak away to the library. Plus, I'm not as comfortable in a library studying. I like indulge while I'm studying......you know...get a cup of something hot and yummy, maybe take a snack break.....just relax and not worry about the people around me at the library and how much times left before closing. I'm very excited about attaining a degree finally though. I'm not a spring chic but I'm not too old either, I think my thirties are very interesting so far. I've accomplished alot for myself during this decade. But back to nursing........it's just that nursing has been such a huge part of my life ever since I was in high school, and now at 34 I'm finally taking serious steps towards obtaining my R.N.! What a wonderful feeling of accomplishment. I hope that by obtaining a higher education it really will open more doors of oppurtunity to me because as a L.P.N. I feel I'm already burned out of nursing homes and working the floor like a slave or something. I think I might stay with hospice for a very very very long time too. I think it's my nursing calling. The only problem is that as a L.P.N. I'm still finding it limiting to get hired in all these hospice agencies. I can't believe that they are hiring mostly R.N.'s. I know there is alot that the R.N. can do as far as case managing goes that a L.P.N. might not be qualified or comfortable doing though. I know I'm not ready for that responsibility yet. I find continuous care my thread. Well, if anyone out there has any suggestions as to any hospices that will hire L.P.N.'s I'm open. I'm in the West Suburbs of Illinois. Vitas is not hiring here, only in Chicago and that's far for me. Illinois hospice is the same. Let me know.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Going back for my R.N.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 07/27/2024 at 08:16:37